Hip replacement and stairs

Options
GARY12
GARY12 Member Posts: 3
edited 19. Nov 2013, 16:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I expect to have hip replacement in 1 year (at age of 38). My apartment is in the 7th floor.
If the elevator is out of order going up and down the stars will it be bad for for replaced hip?

Many thanks
Gary

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum, I am afraid I cannot answer your question but can give you support, being the weekend the forums are usually a bit quieter.

I am sure some of the 'hippies' will be along soon to give you advice, nice to meet you, hope to see you around...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello Gary. The short answer is yes.

I've had both my hips done and both THRs are great but you have to work at them to make them so and, in the early weeks, part of that is not doing too much (The other part is ensuring you do enough :lol: ).

You won't be allowed home until you can do stairs but the idea is to enable people to get up to bed or bathroom. Seven stories at one go would be too much for one new hip, and probably for its owner too after several days lay-off, anaesthetic and pain relief which can make one drowsy.

In the early weeks you really need to concentrate on getting the prosthesis to its best. That means basically rest and exercises. Stairs might come into it (The physio will give you a sheet) but not so many all in one go.

I think you need a Plan B ie a friend/neighbour who will run any errands you might need, online shopping delivered to your door, a well-stocked fridge/freezer. You yourself need to put all your efforts into making the hip work, not doing other stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Gary

Gosh your'e young for that and I say that as I had my TKR at age of 44 and they told me I was young so welcome to the kidda's section!
    I haven;t had a hip replaced but 7 storeys of steps would be pretty rough going on the new hip, it's probably what's worn your present one out, lol! Maybe you can consider getting a property that is not so high up, if you are a council tenant? I know its easier said than done..

Good luck

Elainexx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Gary

I would have a chat with your team so that they are aware that the steps you will be climbing are more than the usual 13 wee most of us have at home.

It might be they suggest a short-stay perhaps with a relative who has more practical accommodation??

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Gary ..I struggled with the stairs....so 7 floors...I am sure they will arrange something for you ..if not relatives short term stay..it s not long before the stairs become much easier ...I would say 2 to3 weeks...good luck with it all I am 4 months post op now so if you have any question please PM me ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • GARY12
    GARY12 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you all for the detailed replies.

Actually my question was more in the long term rather for the first months.

I'm trying to figure out if it will be best to put for sale the apartament in the 7th floor and look for a private home with no more than two floors?

Thank you so much
    Gary
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Gary

Think you have answered your question then, no doubt about it, sell if you can.

Elaine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I guess after the first few months, all being well, it won't be a problem. It's the first few weeks that will be. If you think you can manage to sell up and move before the op that would probably be an ideal solution.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Well I found it was the first few months that I had to be careful.
    Going up a certain way......only talking about one flight :lol:
    After that.....its no problem.....until I get the next one done which hopefully will be soon.
    If you can find somewhere and can sell yours.....go ahead and do it.
    With the elevator you should be OK there if you really want to stay there.
    Make arrangements for the first few months on the off chance that the elevator does go KAPUT......that's assuming you are still there.
    Good luck whatever you do

Love
    Hileena