Question

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 19. Nov 2013, 03:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
About thirty years ago I had an exploratory op done on my right knee as I was having a lot of pain especially going up and down stairs. The surgeon said it was the 'lining' behind the kneecap that was damaged which he 'tidied' up with a laser and said nothing more could be done.

Thirty years later I am now getting quite a bit of pain again in the knee especially going up and down stairs, my question is does anyone know what he meant by 'lining' and can anything be done these days?.................Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Can't really help Marie, but you know me, don't like to read and run lol.

I'm presuming they're talking about the cartilage behind the knee cap which keeps the knee movement smooth? Hopefully someone will come along soon with more useful information. x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    There are all sorts of things that can go wrong with the kneecap, Marie. Mine are strangely good :)

I'm glad cleaning out the lining helped previously. It might be that it needs doing again but you do know what I'm going to say next, don't you :roll: Yup, go to the doc and get it checked out properly. Why have pain if it might not be necessary?

You ask if more can be done than they could 30 years ago. Let me put it this way. In 1981 I had my first two TKRs. Each one necessitated me staying in bed, or sitting at the side of the bed with my foot elevated and an enormous bandage on for 10 days. Then the bandage came off and I was allowed to start trying to walk. I was a bit miffed because my knees were still at an odd angle. I was told the ligaments were long gone and nothing could be done about that.

Four years ago TKR No 1 packed in and I had it replaced. I was told it was a much bigger op, necessitated bone grafts and a longer recovery time. I was walking next day and my knee was finally straight because he did some embroidery with my tendons.

So, YES, much has changed in 30 years. Get the to a doc, young Marie and get it sorted :D At the very least, ask what might be done.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Marie

Would only assume he was talking about cartilage but as tendons, muscle ends can be atatched to kneecap also, doubt it would be that. Wish they would explain these things eh? Hope you can get a solution and good/better advice?

Elainexx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Marie

to have gone a whole 30 years on the knee afterwards I reckon he did a good job :)

I reckon there would be no harm at all trying to get a referral to an orthopod for some 'current' advice

Do let us know what happens

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Sticky is right, best go and see your G.P and ask to be referred to the Orthopaedic Dept. You may need another investigation in the knee. And they can help with pain relief. That's the 1st thing you need to do. Hope you can be seen fairly quickly so you don't have to suffer long.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Marie
    I don't know much about knees apart from they are complex...I am with Toni you try and get a referral..your knee must have been in good nick to last 30 years....hope you can get some answers and good luck with it all..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I know I have been lucky that I have managed to get thirty years relief from a 'tidy up' with a laser, it is frustrating though when doctors don't tell you the proper name for the procedure that they had just done. I had just wondered if anyone on here has had the same done lately and what was the out come.

I do see my GP next week for a catch-up, I may or may not mention it at the moment as I can bear the pain and will have appointments coming out my ears soon :roll: The old knee has served me well for this long so it should last a wee while longer :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wonder if they tidied up the synovial tissue? I believe that this lines the joints but I am not an anatomist or ortho. I agree with the others though, go and see someone who is in the know just to put your mind at rest. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben