Comments

• ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am a total believer in self management and to my mind the most
    important sm technique you can and should develop is communication,
    and in particular expanding your communication skills to include being
    fully able to explain and discuss whatever arthritic condition(s) blip your life.
    My family, my medical team, my dentist, my optician and all my friends are fully aware rheumatoid arthritis, crohns disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis
    and a recent stroke have and continue to feature in my life.
    They all at various times discuss my various conditions and have no difficulty in responding.
    You are failing them if you do not talk and continue to talk with them.
    Put simply how can they know of your problems if you dont tell them?
    ps. I missed my pharmacist and my cyber friends on this website from the
    above list of communicants.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    For once I disagree with ichabod.

Everyone who deals with me medically has the full list and I'm perfectly willing to answer anyone's questions about my RA or other stuff but only to the level at which they want to know. Most people aren't that interested and I much prefer discussing cricket or single malts anyway :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Bloomin eck, sw! Art tha disagreein wi me?
    I think you may have misfielded the full intent of my
    post, but nae bother.
    T' cricket starts toneet an I'll be washing it down wi a
    glass or two of Jamesons (current best beloved supping
    beverage) and, who knows ? if thileets are worth watching
    I'll be seein agin tomorrow and I'll washing them down with a
    pint or two of Wainwrights.
    Please note the first two words are written to comply with
    current posting regulations, but are not what I would usually
    say. Can you guess what?
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I used to see the benefits in discussing my illness with close friends, but not too much and only if they were interested. However, I have noticed a curious effect. They ask, listen, appear interested then suggest an outing that is completely inappropriate.

I have one friend in particular who stays at the house a couple of times a year who is especially keen to learn. We discuss, then there is a complete non-understanding when I don't participate in various things. It's most confusing. I've come to dread visits from this person, and steer away from any discussion with anyone now regarding my condition.

What's the point? I think most people feign interest, and believe that to some degree, one should be able to mentally overcome their disabilities with fierce determination. The more determination I have, the worse I get. I opt for self-preservation.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am of the opinion that you can explain things until you are blue in the face but until the person listening experiences something similar themselves they will not grasp the limitations this disease can place upon us. Mr DD demonstrated this earlier this year. He had his emergency op, decided to go back to work after only two weeks of convalescence (despite my reasoning that it was too early) and struggled to regain his health for considerably longer than he needed. A couple of months later he admitted that he should have listened to me when I advised a whole month off to recuperate. Twerp. The healthy take their health for granted, and so they should. Mind you, if one more person says to me 'I don't do ill . . . . . . . ' I will happily afford them the opportunity to try it for size. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben