Steroid infusion - anyone had one?

Options
merri
merri Member Posts: 190
edited 20. Nov 2013, 05:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
This has been lined up for me next, has anyone had one? I'm petrified!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Merrie
    Whereabouts are you having the injections...I have them in my hips back and hands...the hip ones didn't work for me but the hands ones are really good...good luck with them..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • merri
    Options
    Hi :) Thank you very much for your reply

It's not an injection as have had these previously and they didn't do anything. It's an infusion with an IV drip
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I had 3 around March/April last year.

If all goes well you should feel better the same day or next morning, they make me feel like super man for a few days after each infusion and very umm "HAPPY"

The only bad part really is the needle part and the rest is fine, not many people get side effects from the infusions other than a funny taste in the mouth and feeling hot.

I have also had them on 3 other previous occasions, the only thing I don't like about them is the amount of weight they cause me to gain and sometimes I get a very round face
  • merri
    Options
    ooh ok that sounds positive, thank you :) How long did you find the results lasted?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi merri, I get infusions every three weeks for a neurological condition. The infusions are nothing all you are doing is sitting there, a wee tip make sure you drink plenty of water the day before and before you get it, it helps pump the veins up so it is easier for them to get the needle in, something you will get used to, a tiny scratch and that's it. Good luck lt us know how you get on......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • merri
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply villier, though I'm sorry that you have to have them so often /hug
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have never experienced a steroid infusion ( only infliximab infusions on three occasions and loved the whole experience) so cannot offer advice as such. I know that they can work, and for some work very well, but as far as I understand it from my reading on here it is a pretty strong whack of a dose which might lead to a rough time before things get better.

I have had steroid injections into joints (a waste of time for me) and tablet steroids (bliss) but any form of steroid can be temperamental in what it chooses to do and for how long. I reckon anything is worth a try just in case it might help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • merri
    Options
    Thank you DD, that's incredibly helpful.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    merri wrote:
    ooh ok that sounds positive, thank you :) How long did you find the results lasted?
    Really hard to tell, the whole point of the infusions were to tie me over until my current medication began to work, I was in a really bad flare for months before the steroids so I'd say they worked really well for at least 6-8 weeks.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    merri , get a DVD or something to do because it will put you on a high & wont be able to sleep much , its totaly paimless but takes a few hours but will last & work alot better than the injection they give
  • evelf47
    evelf47 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I have steroid infusions before I have rituximab infusions . Strange to say but I love them . I had one yesterday and before I had it I was in agony and could not walk or use my hands. Today I feel great and am able to feel fairly normal at least for a few days.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi there

I love steroid infusions, they are really good. But, only last a few weeks for me. The only thing I would say is that I don't sleep for a couple of nights afterwards, because as another poster said, you do feel good. Hyper infact for me

Good luck

Janie x
  • merri
    Options
    Thank you ever so much for the replies