Hi everyone!

Options
Barbiturella
Barbiturella Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Nov 2013, 14:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for a little advice. (If that's not too cheeky!)

I've had pain and stiffness in my thumbs for a while now, nearly two years. Gradually this has moved to my knuckles. It's not horrific pain, but it is getting worse. My wrists are now affected and one knuckle in particular is really bad.

I haven't wanted to go to the doctor's office before now, for fear they would just dismiss me. I don't seem to fit into any of the "categories" (courtesy of Google, NHS and any other arthritis advice I can find). My joints aren't red or swollen, or hot. I'm getting upset now because I'm having trouble lifting and dressing my two year old. (I'm 28)

Do I suppose I'm asking if you think I should suck it up and go to the doctors? Is there anything I should ask for? I feel awful posting this when there are so many out there that have suffered this awful disease for much longer than me. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I do appreciate it.

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We're not medically trained on here , just a band of fellow sufferers . If you are having pain and problems with movement you need to see a doctor to settle your mind as to the cause . Hopefully it's not as bad as you fear and it will be eased and treated ; keep us posted and come back to the forum any time . We all understand how you feel .
    Jillyb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Barbiturella and a warm welcome from me
    You are not being cheeky just worried ..this is understandable...I would go and see your GP. who should organize some xrays..it will show up what is going on,,then you can take it from there...if they get too painful I have injections in them and they work very well
    Please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Of course it's not 'cheeky', barbiturella. It's lovely to meet you though it would be nice to think you don't really need us, wouldn't it :)

You have some good advice from jillyb and barbara. We're not docs and can't do diagnoses and neither can Mr Google :) though I think it's OK to check things on recognised sites such as this and the NHS one. Others can be very scary and alarmist.

Definitely check it out with your doc. If there is any swelling or redness at all take a photo of it (as it will instantly disappear when you make an appointment :lol: ) and try to keep a note of anything that makes it better or worse.

One point you might make is that this has been coming on for about two years and you have a two year old. RA does sometimes arrive after a pregnancy. Your GP can arrange a blood test to check for it.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hello, barbiturella very pleased to meet you. I can't really add much to what the others have said, you really need to see your GP get the blood tests done and some x-rays to find out what is going on. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on..................take care...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Welcome from me too, I have psoriatic arthritis plus osteo and fibromyalgia. It's a blast! :D (not :wink: )

I think you should go and see your GP, can you book an appointment in advance? This would give you time to start keeping a record of what is happening, pain levels, difficulties etc because when you get to see them you can present a better picture of how you are being affected. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to say hello and welcome. You have been given excellent advice already regarding photos and symptom diary. Note how long you have any stiffness for in the mornings etc

Make an appt with a gp you get on with, so you are more comfortable. I wish you well.