(Hi) Steroids - getting the flu all the time

Options
amethyst83
amethyst83 Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Nov 2013, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, everyone, I am new. :) I was given a Kenolog injection in september which helped alot with the pain in my feet and with my morning stiffness and fatigue. However, soon after the injection i got a bad flu and felt like death. Now I have another flu and feel even worse and its lasted 10 days so far. i dont know how much more i can take of feeling this ill. My friends have all got minor colds, so i have a feeling this is actually a cold, but because of the kenalog my body is not dealing with it.
Now they think I should take Sulfiazadine and am worried this will be even worse for my immunity.
Has anyone else got experience of this? Does it make sense even?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I am on a triple immuno-suppressant therapy for my auto-immune arthritis, one med of which is sulph. What kind of arthritis ails thee? I suspect is an auto one because you have mentioned sulph.

I have had steroid injections in the past and have had very limited benefit from them - what they do is mask the worst of the arthritis and 'con' us into thinking we are better when we're not. You have this bug because you can, end of.

Sulph reduces your immune system in order to stop it from firing up and allowing the arthritis to be active and attack your body. It is a first-level entry DMARD (disease modifying anti rheumatic drug) but all the DMARDs will have this effect on your immune system. The one thing you should not do is try to boost the immune system because that will only aid the arthritis. I stay relatively cold-free because I have ramped up my hand hygeine. I wash my hands throughout the day, in my bag I have antiseptic wipes and hand gel and I keep away from 'bugged' friends.

When you are immuno-suppressed you do not produce symptoms until things are pretty well-advanced. My friends know they are poorly because their immune systems react to the invading germs and their feeling ill is a sign that their bodies are fighting the infection. We don't get that indication, or at least not so strongly - you will learn to 'listen' to your body and to intuit when things are not going too well for you.

I am one of the fortunate ones in that I cope well with the meds I take. When I began the sulph I was smothered in bruises for a while but they faded. Some people struggle with nausea or headaches but side-effects are never guaranteed to arrive. I know a bloke who has the same arthritis as me but his is very well-controlled by sulph alone - he is one lucky man but doesn't realise it!

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello amethyst83 and welcome to the forum.

You don't say which meds you are on but, if sulphasalazine has been mentioned, you probably have an auto-immune form of arthritis, is that right? If so, any injection of steroids is only a temporary fix.

As for the 'flu', I think it's unlikely that you've already had it twice this year. One of the effects of an auto-immune arthritis is the flu-like fatigue which is part and parcel of the disease and probably nothing to do with the injection.

Any auto-immune disease occurs because the immune system is over-active. The treatment consists of dampening it down. The sulphasalazine should accomplish this and, provided your 'flu' symptoms were to do with your arthritis rather than actual flu, should make you feel much better.

Have you had a flu injection this year? If not, do get one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello amethyst83
    Sorry I cant offer any advice, but I do welcome you to the forum, and hope whatever you decide will bring you some relief x
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi, one thing I remember my, very good, gp telling me when I was first put on steroids and I was worried about colds and flu, was that people on steroids 'do rather better on the whole.' I find the steroid jab helps with flu symptoms. I usually know my arthritis is flaring because of the return of them, I get it a lot when RA not under control. As sticky said, you should have been offered a flu jab. I am about to start Sulphasalazine myself.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello;

I get terrible colds and flu bugs; I'm sicker than most and for longer. I have PsA. In addition, a bug spurs on a severe flare likely by stimulating the immune system for me. I have taken prednisone for extended periods of time and now take methotrexate, sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine.
    I seem to be no more susceptible to viruses on these medications.

The only thing that works for me is to avoid people with colds/flu and my friends all know to be extra careful if they are sick around me. Lots of hand washing helps, and I've trained my spouse too. Things actually improved a bit since I've avoided picking up a bug for an extended period.