Options
Roy
Roy Member Posts: 7
edited 9. Feb 2014, 15:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys & Gals,
I am 47 years old and my work is doing this to my hands
P1090775_zps0a305ad9.jpg
P1090774_zps5453d349.jpg
The veins appear to be rising to the surface causing sensitive fingertips & would be interested to hear from people with similar problems and what the future holds.
(not much with these hands)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Roy and welcome to the forum
    We are not doctors...but here goes the only thing that comes to mind is Raynauds, there are quite a few people ..so I am thinking it could be related to arthritis...I hope some of the others can be of more help.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I can understand your worries but two essential parts of your post are missing; your hand could appear to be swollen but as we don't have an 'original' so to speak we cannot compare it. What sort of work do you do? My guess is it's something manual. Another important fact is we are not doctors so cannot hazard any guesses about what is going on. Have you been to see your GP? He or she should be your first port-of-call. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD's right, Roy. We can't diagnose. You need to show your hands to someone who can. Please see your GP and then come back and let us know how you got on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Roy

Welcome to the forum, yup, I am with the rest see your GP and take it from there. Let us know how you get on...................take care............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Roy
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies and Raynauds looks likely so I will have to go and see the GP. Last winter I found heavy work gloves, fleece lined to take away the pain.
    This year I am wearing liner gloves as well to get the same effect and prior to that i was applying lots of hand cream.
    Regards Roy
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Roy
    You let us know how you get on...hope the gloves work.just a point if you type Reynauds in the search at the to of the forum you might get more info
    Love
    Barbara
  • Roy
    Options
    Went to see the doctor today & will get a test for carpel tunnel syndrome.
    Makes you feel better just talking about it. I was not expecting any miracles and feel getting involved with this issue & doing something is the way to deal with it
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Roy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Just over a year ago (23.11.12 to be precise) I had a double carpal tunnel op (both hands out of use for a short time but it got it over and done with). Since then all those symptoms have disappeared which was / is very pleasing. If it's just the one hand then that is, comparatively, a doddle. :wink: It was one of the oddest Tuesday afternoons I have ever spent but I would happily do it again. The tests were unusual but they proved the need, please let us know how yours go and what the result proves to be. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sure you're right, Roy. Sitting worrying and googling rarely helps anyone. You have bitten the bullet and I hope it results in a much better quality of life for you. If you do need a carpal tunnel op be guided by DD. She was very sensible in both what she did and didn't do afterwards. It makes a huge difference to the outcome. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • Roy
    Options
    Went for the carpel tunnel test & all is OK.
    I have decided all the problems are in my fingers from over use at my place of work. Seem to be getting worse so I will have to start perusing the jobs websites.
    P1090959_zps57252cf1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, at least that's that eliminated, Roy. Well done on being so positive. I hope the job search is fruitful. Have you tried this website? https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    I was wondering how you had got on Roy..Im glad you don't have to have the carpel op..I do wish you well with the job hunting..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Roy
    Options
    Quite a lot of info here http://www.gbhealthwatch.com/raynaudsdisease-details.php
    Silver gloves seem to be the thing to have.

Also some interesting stuff here, I might invest in a couple of wristbands to explain my fumbling plight
    http://www.raynauds.org.uk/
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Roy;

I've been living with Raynaud's for quite a number of years. It's not fun!!
    The investment in really good extreme weather outdoor gloves/mittens is very worthwhile. I keep lots of gloves and mits at the ready, just in case. Sometimes though, the only thing that stops an attack is plunging them into hot water. Letting the attack go is excruciatingly painful; it's always better to be proactive and wear my gloves.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Roy
    Just seen this post now.
    It does make such a difference talking about it and then when you know what it is you can take control of it {manage it} You are in charge even if it is still there :)

Keep talking to us and letting us know whats happening

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks for the info. How are your hands now? Maybe the cold weather isn't helping.
    Steven Wright
  • Roy
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies.
    Hands still function OK, its just disturbing the change in them & I feel they are getting & looking worse.
    Will be interesting to see if the change is actual or just in the mind.
    However I am trying a number of things & thanks for the tips.