TKR post op pain

Options
cherrybim
cherrybim Member Posts: 334
edited 23. Nov 2013, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Seven weeks ago I had a LTKR, having had a RTKR four years ago.

This time I have found the post op pain virtually beyond belief! It's not confined to the knee but goes from my feet to the top of my pelvis by the waistline.

Opiate based drugs and I are not good bedfellows. In the earlier post op days the ingestion of oramorph caused me to throw up ad lib. I've lost one and a half stone in weight and although I'm happy to say goodbye to half a stone the additional stone is a step too far :lol:

Paradoxically I was signed off by the Physio last week who said that it was 10 months ago since she last saw a 6 weeks post op patient who could achieve a 130% bend of the knee. She was even more delighted when I told her that could manage stairs foot over foot :?

I told her about the chronic and acute pain and asked whether the fact that I've already had my feet re-arranged, two previous operations on that knee, a LTHR and RA would contribute to the 'over the top pain' ? Her answer was "It could be any one of those things or none of them" At that we both roared with laughter :lol:

As we said our goodbyes I jokingly mentioned "I guess the fact that the new knee is so mobile is because of my hypermobile joints? "You could be right there" she said with a huge grin.

Thank you all for listening to my whinging. I can now take two tram + 2 paras at night and sleep for at least four hours. (provided a take two Re****s as well)

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cherrybim you are not moaning you are just getting things off your chest, hopefully, you will fell better for doing so. That sounds a good result if you are getting a 130% bend 6 weeks post op, I don't really know to much about your ops as it is OA in my hands and I think maybe in one of my knees now, you certainly have been through the wringer. I hope the pain starts to settle soon and you get a bit more sleep..............take care...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to see your name on here again albeit for a grotty reason. I wish I could help but as I am still lumbered with my birth knees (just another year to go!) I have no wise words. Healing takes time, by the sounds of things your body has been repeatedly through the surgical mill and I think that in iteself can take a toll. It's good that the physio has discharged you, that is some sort of progress, yes? I hope things generally improve for you soon but of not there's always the den :wink: Would you bring your lovely coat too? I could do with some therapeutic stroking. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    Options
    Thank you Marie and DD.

Hopefully, as I've been giving him a hand of late, Sisyphus has got his boulder to the top of the mountain and for once it's ready to plunge down the other side :roll: Yay, things with the irritating leg are just beginning to improve, probably because I threatened to shoot it!

I'll pop over to the Den DD, thanks for the invite. Alas, Felix is now in Brooklyn, New York with my dear DIL, it's gonna be darn cold in Ameriky this winter apparently. However, I promise to bring something equally soft and soothing.

Cherry
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello cherrybim its good to see you but so sorry the pain is so bad..blimey you don't expect that and you should know after already having one TKR...its good you could laugh about it...I hope it all settles down for you ....but well done you for doing the stairs like that..don't shoot it just yet.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • cherrybim
    Options
    Lol Barbara, no I won't shoot it just yet :lol:

I've had a much better day today, thank you and as my long suffering OH has said "You haven't been 'ick or cried for a week now :oops: Hopefully with a fair wind and a following sea I should be just about tickety boo come Christmas time :D

Cherry
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh that is good news - sometimes when one is in the middle of it all it can be hard to judge progress. I hope you have a good Christmas - we will be moving in the next couple of weeks so I have written Christmas off - I'm shattered already and the hard work hasn't even begun! :wink: DD

PS I am sad about Felix but obviously he is earning his corn which has to be a good thing. Your DIL is a lucky girl!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sorry I'm late onto this, cherrybim, but glad today seems a bit better for you. I hope the improvement continues. Sometimes it' indeed a matter of the darkest hour being just before the dawn.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cherrybim
    Options
    Oh DD, as excited you may be about moving you've really got to stop yourself from over exertion! Recently we old girls got it about right for a school friend with Post Polio Syndrome. We dressed her up as Queen of the May and gave her a fairy wand, tied string around the wheels of her electric wheelchair so she couldn't move :oops: From that fixed position she was able to give us orders, directed by her fairy wand. Oh we did have a laugh, shame I can't put the photos on here. The sustenance was jolly good too, that was my job :roll:

Sticky, indeed the darkest hours are just before dawn and this morning that's when I had my own analysis of my moaning :lol: I've always been told by midwives, ortho surgeons and physios that my muscles are akin to iron bars! So that's it (well maybe!) all my muscles are in contention! I see the big chief next month and I'll have a chuckle with him about my daft theory!

Cherry x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have terrible muscles at the moment thanks to stress - I booked a massage with my sports' masseur last Thursday and she did 'em a power of good. She's coming back next week and I will book her for further sessions to help me get through the move. She works miracles - could a proper massage be an option for you to help ease muscular tension? DD