tramadol

Options
Sthiramani
Sthiramani Member Posts: 10
edited 23. Nov 2013, 17:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Started taking Tramadol today and have been 'flying' high for the past few hours. That and a very dry mouth... a very strange experience, but I guess it will settle down. Still have pain but don't seem to mind so much! I'm travelling tomorrow (plane to Ireland) and think I'll wait until I arrive before taking any more... Any thoughts? Best wishes to all.

Have amended colour to forum standard colour, hope understand.

Moderator JK

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Are you going to the North or South.......I'm only asking because I come from the North {long time ago but family is still there} and I know you can check out things with pharmicists the way you can here......if you have any problems while you are there. If its the South....I don't know
    I was on tramadol after my hip replacement...I was high as a kite :lol: but that didn't matter....I wasn't leading a normal life for the 6 weeks afterwards.....I was put on it later by a GP and it had the same affect so I told him and came off it ...I drive and no way could I drive the way I felt.
    That's only my experience.......others can take it quite easily
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I will not take the 50mg trammies during the day for precisely this reason, I will take them at night if things are rough to help me sleep (but that causes its own troubles). I find that the stronger the pain relief the more you are taken away from the pain, not vice-versa - as you have witnessed.

I hope your trip is enjoyable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I take 150mg of Slow Release Tramadol twice a day & I have NO side effects & never have. I think for me it's that the slow release is generally more tolerable. It only leaves me 2 50mg normal release for top up meds tho, that's my only down side!!

It might be worth having a chat to ure GP about the difference if you think the 'spaced out' feeling is too much for you.

Good luck.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Sthiramani
    Sthiramani Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I really do appreciate the responses and knowing its not just me or my mind! I will continue taking the tramadol while away - I won't be driving etc. Want to give them a chance and will check in with GP, as she suggested, when I get back. Going to southern Ireland - my mother lives in the seaside town of Tramore, and I look forward to long beach walks for exercise, weather (and pain) permitting. :)

Amended colour to Forum standard colour for post, hope you understand.

Moderator JK
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Enjoy ure holiday, I hope it's as pain free as possible for you!!

I'd suggest you always eat b4 taking the tramadol, perhaps 15-30 minutes earlier. That may help lessen the side effects.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Sthiramani wrote:
    Started taking Tramadol today and have been 'flying' high for the past few hours. That and a very dry mouth... a very strange experience, but I guess it will settle down. Still have pain but don't seem to mind so much! I'm travelling tomorrow (plane to Ireland) and think I'll wait until I arrive before taking any more... Any thoughts? Best wishes to all.

Have amended colour to forum standard colour, hope understand.

Moderator JK
    I think this is fairly normal with Tramadol when you start to take it, personally I only take Tramadol like others on here when I really need it. The more you take it the less effective it becomes over time, I also found that tramadol doesn't really take away the pain but it just puts me into a state of mind where I just simply dont care about it and lets me get some relaxing sleep.

I think avoiding taking it while flying is a good idea
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday/family time.

I can't take tramadol either- tried it once and got thudding heart and terrible spinning sensation- the GP suggested not trying it again! :?

Deb x
  • Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I tried Tramadol after being on 30/500 Coco's for years. It had absolutely no effect at all, on the pain or making me feel 'odd'. I even asked the Dr. if I'd got a 'bad batch'. Tried another packet and still nothing.

I have an odd metabolism where nothing really works, unfortunately.