This is why it's important to get your bloods done

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 2. Dec 2013, 08:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on meth now for 6+ months, I used to get my bloods done every 2 weeks but since I started back to uni I've only had them done once.

Recently I haven't been feeling my self but I just put that down to having a few too many late nights and eating/drinking unhealthy etc. I decided to start to eat healthy Monday and to start taking more care of my health, so I called the doctors Monday to arrange for my blood test and had that done on Tuesday. Today I had a phone call asking me to contact the doctor so I did, I was surprised to be told that my blood tests had come back showing that my liver function was abnormal. I had another set of bloods taken and will be awaiting a phone call tomorrow from my gp. He thinks that it could be medication related due to my passed history having problems on meth, but all has been fine on a lower dose, or it could be my recent poor diet and increased alcohol consumption which I know I have been warned about many times because of the meth.

I just thought I would post this to remind those of you who skip blood tests (hopefully not many of you) They are a pain and probably feel like a waste of time but these tests apparently pick up on changes much quicker than our bodies will let us know.

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    drinking & methotrexate will = raised liver inflammation (ALT) , dont drink & increase folic acid will help to 5mg six days a week , I had some problem without the drinking & since increasing folic acid my blood results (ALT) are back to normal
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I agree, they are a nuisance but without doubt an essential nuisance. I once had a holiday interrupted because I had to go for emergency bloods - I felt OK in myself but apparently I wasn't. That was when I first came across the term 'deranged liver' which I love. It was enbrel that was the culprit - from 18 to 685 or so in two weeks. :lol: I hope your results are improving and that all is well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    my liver wws super sensitive on meth. it spiked if I had cough medicine, let alone a proper drink!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Thanks. We all need reminding of these things. It's all too easy to get complacent especially when all is well. My rheumatologist only asks for 3 monthly bloods but my GP insists that 2 months is quite long enough. My ALT levels have never yet hit the dizzy heights of 20 but I'm rather glad I didn't have to have a blood test immediately after that first night with our son and daughter-in-law recently :oops: I do hope yours have resumed normal levels by tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello As5567
    Very scary for you, hopefully the level will come down very soon....its a good warning to many ...thanks
    Love
    Barbara
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi AS5567
    Yes your so right its very important to keep check on blood tests,
    my last markers were low,and i felt good for 2 weeks i was getting used to this.(thought to myself)
    then bang wolop (ather) wasnt having any of that, my knees swollen up and can hardly walk now, when i do its double crutches. ive now had this fun for a week. and it wont let me sleep up all night. so next bloods certanly gonna show high. this arthritis is very cunning.
    but someone did say on here, stop when you feel you could do more how wright thay are.
    dont forget to have blood tests done, and dont overdrink while on meds.
    good luck mike26 :(:(
  • As5567
    Options
    Sorry I am only now replying, been having a bad few days and been very busy with uni stuff.

Bloods came back the same, so my GP has been in contact with my rheumatologist and will get back to me early next week hopefully. I have been told to not take my meth this weekend, I have also been told to not take my Arcoxia too. Really struggling to sleep at night without the Arcoxia at the moment, and what little sleep I do get is far from refreshing. After being "ok" for the last few months it's rather depressing having this pain back just before I go on holiday, the only plus side is the weight loss!

I'm hopeful that I will be able to have my infusion in 2 weeks time and that will help ease things, I'm guessing that will be depending on if my blood results return to normal or not.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Best wishes, I hope everything is ok for you and you can get your infusion on schedule.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Me too. Good luck :)
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello thanks for this warning. I need to be on top of my blood tests.Hope you get sorted soon.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • As5567
    Options
    My doctor called me today, he thinks that my blood levels are related to my medications and is probably the meth. My results over the last few months have come back as normal but have always been at the very bottom of that range.

I was already booked in for my regular check up next week so he has told me to not take my meth again this week and to get my bloods done on Monday so they are ready for clinic the following day and we can go from there. If all is good with the results then he will put me on a lower dose of meth with weekly blood tests for a while, not sure how that is going to work with me going away for 5 weeks :S

He also said that I will be fine to have my infusion which is a big worry off my shoulders.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good news about the infusion. I do hope the meth problem can be sorted.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    Options
    My bloods are back to an acceptable level and I've been given a new prescription for the meth at a lower dose (7.5mg I think)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds much better. I hope you get a smooth run this time :D
    Steven Wright