Restless legs

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 22. Nov 2013, 14:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening - Does anyone suffer with restless legs during the day and at night. Really bad for the last 3 weeks whilst I have had bad flare up. If anyone knows of any helpful remedies or supplements that would help I would be grateful. I am seeing gp tomorrow and will mention it but I don't really want to take nerve medication which he gave me at beginning of year as it made me feel funny and kept me awake. . I did not seem to suffer with this for months and now its come back during the flare. Flare is easing a little and I feel its not as bad as it was 3 weeks ago. friend told me about taking magnesium tabs, has anyone tried these. I am only on Naproxen at moment. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If you put 'restless legs' into the search on this forum all threads relating to it should appear. It is a fairly common problem on here. By restless do you mean that you continually feel the urge to move them - it eases briefly then the urge returns - or is it more a cramping feeling? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks Dreamdaisy. I do have to keep moving my legs and get the urge to do so. it feels like they are moving inside, moreso the right one at the moment. I will put restless legs into search and maybe get some tips. I really need a good night sleep as getting angry now. Seeing gp in morning but that seems ages away....sorry feeling miserable at the moment. Thanks for answering x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am sorry, it sounds so miserable for you. I hope the GP can do something to help - we do seem to get our troubles layered one on top of the other, don't we? The morning will soon come, please let us know what the GP has to say. DD
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks Dreamdaisy I will let you know tomorrow. I have just read about restless legs on search on this site and found that a lot of people take magnesium and also drink tonic water with quinnin. Also the suggestion of decaf tea. I am definitely going to give that a try tomorrow (if it was not dark and rotton weather I would be at the little corner shop now !!!!!) rather than take med from gp. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for the suggestion I am learning all the time about this site and everyone is so helpful and I do not feel alone/ Hope you have a good night.
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    I used to get restless leg and quite by coincidence my rhummy increased my folic acid and it has rarely bothered me since. At present I take three tablets a week as I am taking methotrexate injections weekly. It may be worth mentioning folic acid to your gp as it's worked for me.
    Take care
    Les
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks Les I will ask gp about folic acid tomorrow. What a great site this is there is always someone that can help.
  • Deb123
    Deb123 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi valde

I used to get restless legs mainly at night which was beginning to drive me insane. I was put on gabapentin for fibromyalgia , I also take amatriptaline at night and it seems to have stopped at the mo.

I agree talk to your Gp.

Debbie x
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello restless legs can be caused by deficiencies of things like folic acid and vitamin b.I have had this lately and wonder whether it is because of methotrexate. It eased when I took more folic acid as lulubell said! Hope you get relief soon!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello;

I've had restless legs for a few years. I went on gabapentin for this, and another problem, and it's much more tolerable now. Mine did not improve with nutritional solutions. Good luck, I hope you find something to give you relief.

Anna
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

My hubby has full body Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) It even effects his heart, it makes it ripple, very odd!! :lol:

He was treated by Neurologists for it & was put on Parkinson meds plus many others mixed in which has led to him having permanent nerve end damage in his legs & part of his bladder. I urge caution because of this.

A home remedy that my friend uses on her hubby is putting a tumble drier sheet that's perfumed, under his bed sheet, she tried soap originally but it annoyed him, the sheet works well tho apparently, a cheap & easy thing to try I think :)

Good luck.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Valde
    I was going to say folicacid , butI see someone else has recommended this..in the olden days yes I am that old..they use to take aspirin for it .hope you get something to help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone.

I have just got back from gp and he agreed I should try magnesium tabs and also quinnin (which is in tonic water). So am starting that today, fingers crossed. He offered antrip.... but I tried that last time I had rsl and and it did not agree with me as gave me even less sleep. Will let you know if magnesium and tonic water works.

He has also requested an urgent Rheumy appointment for me as he agreed that this flare up I have had since 27 Oct is severe. Naproxen not touching it. He has given me Co-codomol for pain relieve instead of plain paracetemol.

GP gave me a really good explanation on methotrexate so I do feel a bit more clearer on it now . My previous rheumy consult (I have asked to see another one as I do not have faith in the last one) did not give clear explanation to clear up any fears so I made decision to stick to anti inflamatries.

I will discuss with the Rheumy Consult about methotrexate again, last time it was offered I was afraid but now it seems that this may help to stop the damage as gp said he feels I need dmards (not sure what that stands for) now instead of anti inflamatries.

Thanks again to all and it is so helpful to have people to talk to albiet on the computer but when you live alone like me it really helps.

Hope you all have a good day
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for the update. DMARDs stands for disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and these are the only ones that can begin to tackle the underlying cause of an auto-immune arthritis; they work by suppressing the immune system. Naproxen is an NSAID, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and because that works in a different way the disease can run unchecked, as you have been finding out.

Rheumatologists can forget that we don't know what they know, and they may not be too good at explaining things because they know all the ins-and-outs. I have always taken the view that they know more than me, many others take these meds without much in the way of trouble, and the meds can help (well, if one is lucky enought they can, and that won't be found out until they are tried). I have been on injected meth for a few years now and have very little trouble with it. Launching oneself into the unknown of a new med is a diffcult thing but, in the case of this disease, it is a necessary thing to do because if not then things will worsen. I wish you well. DD
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you DD for explaining. Can you tell me what the difference is between tabs and injection. Do you have to attend hospital to have injection. My hospital is not on my doorstep and takes me over an hour on the bus. Valde
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I am so pleased you now feel able to consider taking methotrexate, valde. I hope you benefit from it every bit as much as I have done.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright