About to start meth injections :/

Options
kimbo1
kimbo1 Member Posts: 29
edited 30. Nov 2013, 12:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

I've been on methotexate for 3 months now but haven't had any signs of improvement (if anything more joints are affected now!)

My rheumy thinks it because we haven't been able to get the dose high enough because of me feeling so ill the day after i take it. - have only got up to 12.5mg.

So we have decided to try the injections (first appointment is on wednesday). I hate needles, have over come my fear of blood tests now though woohooo!!!

Would love to hear other peoples experiences of injecting methotrexate and what it's like, and some reassurance that I will be able to do it :P

Thanks
K

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I've been doing my own injections for some time now, together with humira injections too. I know it's working because my PsA is very well controlled but thanks to OA and now fibro I don't feel any discernible benefit.

Doing the injections is very straightforward but I realise that I am fortunate in that I don't have any difficulties in dealing with needles. I prefer to use my stomach (but not close to the navel) because that area has fewer nerve endings. I do mine every Wednesday and it's done and dusted in under seven seconds. Good luck with it and I hope you can feel the benefit sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Sorry, I can't be of use, kimbo1, as I do tablet meth but I do hope the injections help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kimbo1
    kimbo1 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Have had my appointment now, the nurse did it for me this time to show me what to do, was not as bad as i expected and i did look once the needle was in so one bridge has been crossed!

Another to cross next week when i try to do it myself!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Well, I'd call that a result :D Well done, you. I hope next week goes just as well and, equally importantly, it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I appreciate the convenience of doing my own jabs but I confess that I cannot look when my bloods are being taken. To my small mind there is a diiference between extracting and injecting. :? You did well, OK? It is a big step, end of. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Just want to say good luck with them hope they work well :D
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    good luck, i am sure you will manage fine, hope it gives you more relief xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kimbo
    Sorry I cant help, but I do wish you well with it and please let us know how you get on
    Sorry dont think we have met so welcome to the forum x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gemmarh100
    gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    My story is almost identical to yours, I have been on MTX tabs for about 3 months, but I was getting to much nausea and I too stopped at 12.5mg. My RA is worse than ever now and am still waiting for an appointment to start MTX injections.

I am quite nervous too, but hoping the thought that it might work is getting me through. Please let me know how you get on next week.

Gem x