Naproxen or Meptid?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 15. Dec 2013, 16:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
My - very limited - understanding is that naproxen is an anti-inflammatory whereas meptid is an opiate-based pain reliever. If you need anti-inflamms there are others besides naproxen, charisse.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was on naproxen and got nowhere with it. My rheuamtologist then changed me to diclofenac and I can feel the difference with that, it helps my OA rather than my PsA but the main thing is it helps. It does not, however, relieve the pain. I also take a daily stomach protector - that is essential with the anti-inflammatory meds. As Sticky said there are other options but maybe you've already tried them? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I was on diclofenic and my GP changed me from that to Naproxen.....doesn't help as much but is apparently safer

Love
    Hileena
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    If you're having stomach problems it's worth an ask about Arcoxia, as far as I'm aware it's in the same class of drugs as Naproxen and the other anti inflammatory drugs. Most doctors just don't prescribe it because of the difference in cost.

I think the difference in cost is something to do with the special coating that is on the outside of the Arcoxia tablet, it is designed to bypass the stomach and dissolve further down. It might be worth an ask.

I have just put the price difference for reference.

Arcoxia 28-tab pack = £22.96
    Naproxen 28-tab pack = £1.65
  • AvadaKedavra
    AvadaKedavra Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi all,

Whilst on the topic of Naproxen, I would like to ask something to you all. I am sure that one of the many side effects of this drug, is weight gain and or water retention?

I personally notice that if I take naproxen for maybe 3-4 days straight I end up with a fat face LOL. So for me, it certainly makes me plump particularly in the face. Although not nice, it reduces my pain. Can't win them all eh :lol:.
    "The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service." - Albert Einstein
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I took nap for a long time every day but never noticed any weight gain. I've only ever done the 'moon face' thing on steroids.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    You may find that Naproxen does not make you gain weight but acts to make you dehydrated and hence drink more fluids?
  • AvadaKedavra
    AvadaKedavra Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    You may find that Naproxen does not make you gain weight but acts to make you dehydrated and hence drink more fluids?

I heard about that and water retention.
    "The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service." - Albert Einstein
  • christopher
    christopher Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi folks this is my first time on this site .I have Arthritis in both hips and knees and at present am waiting on my first knee replacement op.
    I am in a lot of pain at present ,surgery could be 1 year down the line . My doctor wants me to have injections to my knees while I wait on op ,I'm not sure about this ,having read good and bad reports on this matter.
    I would like to come off Naproxen 1000mg per day ,as I have been on it for over 4 years . I also take 2, 100mg Tramadol per day along with paracetamol if needed.
    Doctor is trying me on BuTans patch 10 over 7 days, have stopped naproxen and tramadol now for the past 4 days and using patch only , :?: :?: the pain is bad .
    Has anyone ever tried this and should I give it more time.
    Any advice as to other meds I could try rather than go back on the naproxen as I think they are causing me to have reflux .http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=41013#
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello christopher and welcome to the forum.

Pain is a constant problem for all of us on here so we do understand how you feel. I've had both knees and hips replaced.

I've had good results from steroid injections though they don't work for everyone. I think you just have to 'suck it and see'. What's to lose? If you decide to have them remember to rest the limb for 48 hours to give the injection its best chance.

I've never done the Butrans patches. Any anti-inflammatory will give you stomach problems if you don't also take a stomach-protecting med with them (and sometimes if you do :roll: ). There are others about. I think personally I'd go for them rather than the big guns if given a choice. I like to keep pain relief to a minimum as I find that way it works better when I really need it.

Has your GP not mentioned the options of a Pain Clinic and/or physiotherapy? These could help too.
    Steven Wright
  • christopher
    christopher Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Stickywicket for your reply. Your advice is good , I am going to give the steroid injections a go . I have been having a few stomach problems so I feel its time to give the anti-inflammatory a break with the hope that the steroid injections will work and I will not have to use the Butrans patches for long. Do you mind me asking your age and over how many years it took to have all your surgeries on hips and knees and how do you feel now. I am 60 and wondering just how long it will take to complete my own op's.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Steroid jabs are not a permanent solution. They work perfectly for some and virtually not at all for others. However, if they work for you you will feel it is 'problem solved'. It's not. It's only temporary but so worth it while it lasts.

My situation is different from yours in that my OA is a result of my getting RA when I was 15 and there was no proper treatment around for it at the time. I got my first two TKRs when I was 35. The hips came later and one of the original TKRs was replaced 4 years ago. I'm 67 now. Don't worry about this being your future. Those of us with an auto-immune form of arthritis do things differently :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    As I'm in the very early stages of treatment all I've been given at the moment is Naproxen. I have been taking it for about a month, and have noticed some dehydration, can drink a couple of litres of water a day :( not good when you keep needing to hobble to the toilet lol!
    <3 *Beckie* <3