just popping in to say hi...

Options
dippydoodah
dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
edited 27. Nov 2013, 16:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone. some may remember me, maybe not. ive been off here for quite a while but thought id pop back. im trying to get through as many posts as i can to see how people are doing.

ive had a bit of a hard time lately. i cant remember if ive already said but ive since been diagnosed with ra along with the history of oa and fibro. they started me on methotrexate and i lasted a year before i couldnt handle it anymore. it was making me ill, my hair was falling out and finally, xrays showed it wasnt working anyway. there were significant changes whilst on it and my markers weren't coming down.
they took me off mtx and started me on sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine but after just four weeks, i had a really bad reaction and had a severe rash all over. it was rough and itchy. unfortunately, ive been left with what can only be described as marks/scars from the rash. they stopped the sulfa but im continuing with the hydroxychloroquine for now until my next appointment to discuss what i can do next. yay!

i consider myself lucky though as my husband is still very supportive, helps me and looks after me and ive got my three amazing little boys who keep me smiling and i get lots of cuddles to make mummys bones better!

anyway, i will try to read through as many posts as i can and see how you are all doing.

caroline x

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,

I don't think we've met b4 but welcome back :D

That's a real shame that mtx didn't help & that sulf caused that skin reaction. I have severe plaque psoriasis so I'm used to having gross skin :lol: It may be worth asking ure GP if the marking is likely to go & is there anything they can give you to help, if they don't know ask to be referred to a Dermatologist!!

I hope you don't have to wait too long for ure next appointment with ure Rheumy. The best of luck with it.

Take care & nice to 'meet' you.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm sorry things haven't been working for you Caroline. I actually got by OK at one stage on hydroxy plus anti-inflamms though I wouldn't recommend it :lol: I hope they can soon sort out something that works better for you. (Cuddles are a great short-term therapy though :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hi caroline
    I like the idea of cuddles to make your bones better that's cute. Hope you get sorted soon x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Caroline
    Welcome back
    Sorry cant help with the meds....I have OA and various other things but not RA
    Sorry things seem so bad for you at the minute

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Caroline, Glad to see you back and popping in, I'm on hydro too. I'm sorry you've been suffering and you can't get on with some of the meds. Hope when you see the consultant they can find a med that will agree with you. It does help so much when your OH is supportive and takes care of you!! :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello dippy of course I remember you...Im so sorry you are struggling like this...its must be really hard having a young family...but how good that you have a supportive hubby...I do hope you can get some relief very soon...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you for the pleasant return :)
    its been a ****** year to put it bluntly. it took a complaint to my consultant to get them to see me, i think i was forgotton about for a while. with the mtx tried and the reaction to the sulfa, my nurse said there was only one other drug they could try but apparently thats even stronger so she's not sure. im still waiting for an appointment. it takes my husband ringing everyday for about a week to get them to return my call. for my last appointment he had to go to the actual hospital and speak to someone at the desk. funnily enough, he got an appointment there and then.

otherwise im getting by. im struggling with my wrists and hands more lately. he's cutting my food for me as i cant put any pressure on or hold anything. even holding a spoon hurts but im managing.

nice to see so many of you all again x

Edited by Moderator JK
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    i have replied to this but i have a sneaky suspicion ive replied as a new thread and not on here! ive been doing some silly things lately :oops: the best one recently is kicking my slippers off when getting into bed as my husband watched and said what are you doing? i realised i didnt even have my slippers on, i just went through the motions! i thought they were comfy! :lol:

anyway..... :oops: thank you for the welcome back and im guessing my reply post will appear somewhere soon! :D