Still in really bad pain - any suggestions please

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 25. Nov 2013, 06:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening - I am back again. Pain has been cronic today and it has kept me on sofa feeling awful. I am not good with pain and looking for suggestions. I know others out there are in same boat but unfortunately I feel sorry for myself and am having trouble pulling my self out of it. Pain since 27 Oct. GP said it is a severe flare up and has written to Rheumy for urgent appointment. Don't know how long I will have to wait. He told me to take Naproxen twice a day and prescribed paracetamol/codine to take 2 up to 4 times a day. Shoulders, tops of arms, wrists and hand and back. I started these on Friday, am I expecting too much too quick. I am using De..He..massaging into areas affected. I have tried frozen peas and ice gel to no avail so at moment house really stinks with De..He.. I bought the gel sold in Ireland and that did not work for me. Please what does other people do to ease pain. Sorry I am moaning again but feel really low. Any suggestions would be so welcome until this passes and I see consultant. I am looking forward to going to bed and sleep but not looking forward to getting up in morning, Thank you all

Comments

• thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Valde,
    I would suggest you go back to your GP and say the co-codamol isn't working, What strength did he give you?
    Your GP can add to your pain regime without having to wait for the rheumy appointment. Co-codamol is "lower lever" on the pain meds front so if it isn't working tell him, there is other ones for him to try.
    I find cold packs can help my joints, 10min on, 10mins off, and repeat.
    If cold isn't working for you what about heat pack or baths?

There is nothing worse than being in constant pain so feel free to moan. Make sure your meds are beside your bed so you can take them and go back to sleep for 30mins til they kick in.

I hope you get back to your GP tomorrow

Thistle
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi,
    Gosh you are in a mess. I found any anti-inflam takes time to work so hopefully the Naproxen will begin to work sooner rather than later for you. This cold snap will not be helping either. Does heat help? I have found putting my hands in hot-ish water brings some relief plus compression gloves or even fingerless gloves. A ‘V’ shaped pillow on the chair might help to support your shoulder and neck. A rolled towel under the neck at night sometimes gives a bit of comfort. Double thickness crepe bandage if you haven’t got wrist supports will give gentle support for the wrists.
    Rest if you need, sleep and most of all be kind to yourself.
  • creakycat
    creakycat Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hiya, I can only say what helped for me, but I found Naproxen nearly useless for my joint pain and came off it after only a fortnight. I take Celecoxib now and although I still have pain, it definitely takes the edge off. Maybe speaking to your doctor would be an idea? There are stronger painkillers you can use if you choose to, so there's nothing to lose by letting your GP know that the pain is just too much to bear. Best of luck.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry Valde I cant really help as it is OA I have, I just want to wish you well and hope you can get some relief soon.............tc............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    sadly there isnt much you can do until you get that appointment :/ You could ask your gp for some stronger pain relief but anything stronger than what you're currently taking will most likely make you feel like you're in another world and very sleepy. But that choice is up to you and your gp, when I'm in a bad flare I do take the strong pain meds at night and they do help me get a decent night sleep which always makes dealing with the pain the next morning a whole lot easier.

Also if you find that warmth helps have you tried to get up right away and jump in a hot shower/bath? I find that this sometimes helps ease some of the pain.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I definitely find heat helps, the hot shower is a plus, but struggling in and out of a bath makes that a trickier option for me. I wonder if you have heat packs(the wheat kind to warm in a microwave)- I find it helpful to drape them over the sore bits-knees, ankles, wrists, shoulders- though it does make moving tricky!!! :o . Just a thought but I add a few drops of essential oil-lavender or geranium- to my wheat packs- it smells lovely and somehow makes me feel a bit better about myself-maybe it's just kidology!

I hope you get some relief soon-but as others have said- your GP is the 1st port of call for better pain relief- they only know how we are struggling when we talk to them honestly.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Valde
    The only advice I have is you have to keep on top of the pain ie antiinflams...cocodamols...If this doesn't work you do need to see your GP ..its awful when you cant get relife...please let us know how you are getting on...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have managed to speak to gp on telephone this morning to let him know paracet/codine is not working and they have now prescribed Tramadol and they say this should work. I can't start these until 3pm this afternoon as I have already taken 2 painkillers. Fingers crossed these will work as I am so tired of the pain. Thanks again
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Valde, I can only suggest a V-neck pillow you can get them in Argos, that's where I brought mine. And I raise my legs with cushions. Hope you flare up eases soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been dealing with increasing pain levels since 1997. At first it was one knee (outrageous then but I wish it was so now) and over the years I have learned this: nothing takes it away (it can be temporarily eased and softened, no more) and that I have to live with it. None of us relish living with pain but it is what we face - and it is undoubtedly a challenge.

I keep my pain relief to the minimum so that I have an escape lane when needed. I distract myself from it by keeping my mind occupied, I do tasks in chunks, the radio burbling away in the background, and take short rests in-between to come on here, read or do puzzles whilst my joints recover. (I use that term lightly. :wink: ) I could be doped up to the eyeballs but stuff will still hurt and I won't be able to do what little I manage. People are afraid of pain, and rightly so because it tells us that something is wrong somewhere, but with arthritis there is no option but to get on with it. Pain won't leave us because the disease doesn't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben