Hi! Newbie to being creaky

creakycat
creakycat Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2013, 03:17 in Say Hello Archive
Hi! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm 32, have had psoriasis since I was 18 and was diagnosed recently (and I mean recently, I saw my rheumy on Friday for my first consultation!) with psoriatic arthritis. He wants to start me on sulfasalazine, and I haven't started taking it yet, but I think I will. I'm mainly affected in my hands, wrists and my shoulder. I guess I'm here to speak to other people who understand what's going on. I'm not sure I'm 'ok' with my diagnosis, but I'm trying to process it.
Errm, that's all really. :?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello creakycat and welcome to the forum.

Both diagnoses, and the meds prescribed, can take some time to get ones head around. People sometimes read the meds leaflets and decide the disease might be a better option :? It's not. I write as one who had RA for many years before the disease modifying meds were on offer. Taking them now, at this early stage, will prevent other problems later.

However, it's all come rather quickly for you, I expect. The more you read these forums the more you'll realise that's actually a good thing even though it mightn't seem like it right now :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi creakycat

As it is OA I have I cannot advise but I see Sticky has given you some good advice, I just want to welcome you to the forum we mostly hang around the Living With Arthritis and Chit-Chat forums, lovely to meet you, hope to see you around.................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • creakycat
    creakycat Member Posts: 6
    Hi stickywicket and villier, thanks for your posts and welcomes! :) I've been a brave wee soul! and took my first dose of sulfasalazine last night after posting. I'm not sure what I thought was going to happen, but I got kinda nervy - feeling a bit sick this morning - but I'll persevere for now. Like you guys say, it's better to avoid damage and keeping on top of the condition. I've had another chronic pain condition for the past 4 years (I've had an L5/S1 spinal fusion due to degenerative disc disease) so this is a bit of a kicker on top of that too. It's been a bit of a long haul trying to get things figured out, as, I'm sure you guys have experienced as well, GPs can be a bit rubbish with chronic pain. I take a lot of painkillers for my back which I think masked symptoms. I know PsA can be a tricky one to diagnose, but it was disheartening being told it was maybe RA, or fibro, or some weird and wonderful thing they don't understand - so it's a kind of double edged sword getting a diagnosis! I think I'm starting to get my head round it, but I'm equally sure I'll have a few down days as time goes on. I'll check out the bits of the site you've mentioned and thanks again :D xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, creakycat! You have, indeed, been brave :D It's quite a daunting business taking new meds. Re the sickness – always take them with food, even a small amount can make a big difference. I've not done sulphasalazine (I'm on methotrexare and hydroxychloroquine) but I understand a few feel queasy on it at first though, if you can persevere, it usually goes away. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have PsA and have been on sulph for eleven years. I have to take other meds too but I have a friend whose PsA is controlled by sulph (and he's on a smaller dose than me - so unfair! :lol: ). I start any new med with the same approach - 'this won't do much to me or for me' then that way I can be pleasantly surprised when things go right. I am on a triple therapy for my PsA (I am sixteen years in five of which went undiagnosed and untreated) and have very few troubles with any of the meds. Side-effects have to be listed but that does not mean they are guaranteed to arrive. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there around the forum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334
    Hello there Creakycat

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to our forums :)

I hope you will find them as helpful as I have.

Well done for starting your meds - very wise of you :)

Hope to see you around

love

Toni xxx