I don't usually do this but.....

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 29. Nov 2013, 04:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sometimes a good wallow is called for.

On Tuesday I lost a big filling. I was delighted, on Wednesday, that the dentist felt it repairable but not so delighted when the tooth started aching some hours later.

I would have gone back next day but that was when the sore throat started :roll: I opted not to meth as a precaution and that was just as well since, by Friday, the sneezes had begun. On Saturday the cough joined in and, by Sunday, I was doubling up on my inhalers and taking the extra med whose function I don't understand but the doc said that, given that the stomach, oesophagus, throat, neck and lungs are all supposed to work in harmony but in my case don't, a cold really messes them up so the little domperidone pill would help on such occasions. (I had thought he'd said Dom Perignon and, as you can imagine, I was bitterly disappointed :( ).

This morning saw me doing the lot again with the addition of cocos as my shoulder had kicked in. I don't like early-morning cocos as I prefer to be fully awake and, besides, they make breathing harder when it's already bad but needs must. Then I dropped my smallest (domperidone) pill on the floor twice (One is hard to dislodge from the packaging: three are asterisking annoying :x ). I opted for porridge, more for the tooth's sake than because I wanted it, then over-microwaved it and ended up washing half of it down the sink :mrgreen:

I would tell you all how annoyed I am but we're no longer allowed to use such words so, I have decided to have a quick dip in the pool of self-pity instead. Personally I find anger more useful and constructive but any port in a storm. Oh fiddlesticks, fiddlededee, and lawksamussy!
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Gosh SW..was that suppose to be a moan... :shock: I have never heard anything like it before off you..so I recon things must be bad....Dom Perignon ..would have been helpful I think..lets get you on the best side then we can all partake with you....(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Welcome to the pool :D don't often see you in here.
    I don't think think wallowing needs to stop you from being angry as well, it certainly doesn't stop me!
    ((((()))))
    Numpty
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Sticky
    I hope you will feel better soon.
    ((((((((sticky))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, you do sound to be in a pickle; in my experience there is nothing worse than the common cold because it can pull us down in mood and spirits unlike anything else. I am sorry (which is useless) and cant think of anything to help (also useless) because I daresay you are doing all the right things already. I hope things begin to improve sooner rather than later, to help that happen keep warm, stay well-hydrated (lots of tea, mehinks) and hopefully Mr SW will cosset you at least a little. I said 'hopefully'. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi Sticky,

sounds like day when Oh fiddlesticks, fiddlededee, and lawksamussy don't quite cut the mustard! :shock: O what a pity something stronger is not allowed! :lol:

Take care and get well soon,

Trish xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    How unlike you to wallow, may I join you? I would have preferred Dom Perignon also :lol::lol::lol:

Hope you quickly recover.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Oh no SW how annoying! Hope you feel better soon!X
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone, especially Numpty for the warm welcome. Suzygirl, I believe there's no rule that says we can't sip Dom Perignon while floating about here though, alas, it will not be on prescription.

I revived a little around lunchtime so I hopped out for a few exercises (First for three days :oops: ) and a spot of lunch. I'm now all out of energy so I think I'll slide back in again until cooking duties beckon.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Awww Sticky you must be feeling rubbish, call that a moan. Forget about the Dom Perignon I think a few nice hot Toddys would be the answer :D hope you feel a bit better soon xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh dear- I hope tomorrow feels better. :)

Deb x
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    SW you are usually there for me when I post one of my epic wallows so count me in for passing tissues from the pocket (gingerly). I never get ill these days which I put it all down to my hyperactive immune system attacking every little or big germ that fancies having a pop with a big hatchet. I'm touching wood as I write this though :roll: Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • dreamdaisy
    Surely it's an over-active immune system that brings the auto-immuners their troubles, be they asthma, eczema, arthritis, lupus or any of the other myriad forms of misery. This is why it has to be suppressed by the meds which of course brings its own complications. You may be fighting germs but your RA will be enjoying its freedom to express itself. DD
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    I've just wallowed on a new post about myself DD :oops: but I don't think my RA is galivanting around my joints at least because I'm almost free of pain at present. I would like to say it's the Hydroxy working very quicky but I know that this is unlikely so I think my RA is just plotting new dastardly ways to make me suffer instead.

The only time I got a spate of bugs since RA started was when I managed to get up to 20mg of oral Methotrexate (with Hydroxy) for a summer and I got every sick bug and summer cold going in quick succession. Also when I got up to 17.5mg injections the same thing happened.

This is why I'm saying to SW that my immune system must be partying big time from no RA meds for four months and at least when we get colds there is some small consolation that the immune system is being suppressed effectively?

Whew the non scientist that is me now needs a lie down :lol: !
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Feel better soon, Sticky. Glad to see you in the pool too :lol:
  • villier
    Hope you are feeling a bit better today Sticky xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Please don't take this personally, Anna, but I've just leapt out of the pool :wink: I'm still coughing a bit (Don't make me laugh :lol: ) and I'm achier than usual - though not as achey as the last few days - but I can breathe today and that's a big plus. I shall slowly ease myself back into 'normality' today. Anyone in the pool who fancies a jar or two - they're on me tonight :lol: Thank you one and all.

Whoops, Marie, you got in there ahead of me. Hello there :D
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    glad to see you can breath a little easier today SW...normality will be good ...hopefully its very soon...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I am glad to hear that things seem to be improving for you today - still be sensible though, yes? :wink: DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hello you. I'm glad things are a little improved, your poor thing. I find that shouting "sugarplumfairy" is a great stress reliever. I also have some other choice words but not for this forum, eh? :wink:

Take it carefully and slowly. Slow and steady wins the race.

x
  • stickywicket
    Oh Sophie, Please, please, PLEASE am I allowed to shout 'sugarplumfairy' at Mr SW? That would cheer me up no end :lol: (Though not him :wink: )

'string vests' used to be a favourite non-swear word/phrase.

DD you would be proud of me. I'm being so sensible I'm not quite sure I'm still me :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Crikey, you must have been poorly. :wink: Being sensible is no bad thing, you can return to your lax and wicked ways once you are very much better, yes? DD
  • villier
    Another one I like is, Oh! for fudge cake xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh Sophie, Please, please, PLEASE am I allowed to shout 'sugarplumfairy' at Mr SW? That would cheer me up no end :lol: (Though not him :wink: )

'string vests' used to be a favourite non-swear word/phrase.

Oh, of course! But don't tell him who told you in case he tries to steal it! :o

Have you heard of this one? "Shut the fffffffffffffffffffffront door!"
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Hi Sticky...I am so pleased to hear you are feeling rather better and hope you feel better again tomorrow. It is such hard work being unwell and no fun at all. Get well very soon.

Susie
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Hi Sticky,
    Glad you are feeling better, take it easy though, don't over do it!

Jenny