ESA?? Help.....

Options
gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
edited 4. Dec 2013, 10:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I know there are a lot of posts on here about ESA and I have read quite a few....but I do not want to apply because I can't work. I need to apply as I have had to cut my hours at work from full-time to 30.....and soon to be 12/week, which I cannot afford to live on.

I have had to cut my hours due to constant fatigue due to RA and I have had a OH assessment, too. Their report said I am likely to have more absences and reduced productivity, due to RA. Does this qualify me for getting ESA???

I have read lots of the questions people get asked and I have trouble with a lot of day-to-day tasks (e.g. opening bottles, picking up cup of tea, putting shoes on). But I still feel I am able and would like to work 12/week.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, Thanx.

Gem X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I cannot help because I have not had to go down this route. Have you thought about DLA (soon to be PIP)? This is a benefit available to those (I think) in full-time, part-time or self-employed work. There are various threads about ESA as you know but I suspect that your best bet would be to chat to your local CAB: they are well-informed, knowledgeable and probably more up-to-date on things. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Gem, nice to meet you.
    DD is right, CAB are always pretty up to speed with the latest changes (of which there are many) with regards extra help for you. As you say, a lot of us are on ESA and DLA which itself is in the throws of review.

Have you looked into income support? https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility

This link might give you some pointers in the right direction. I know you can work and also claim DLA, I think it is up to 16 hours a week. Sorry I cannot be any more specific, but have a nosey at the gov pages and see what you may well be entitled to. It is not the fact that you don't want to work, RA is stopping you from working full time. Take care xxx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    PIP has replaced DLA for new claims, it can be claimed whatever hours you work or if you don't,t work ,it is not means tested indeed can be claimed if you are a multi millionaire.