shopping trolleys, pride and writing books!

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 9. Dec 2013, 04:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Hope the slight rise in temperature is helping some of you, although I must admit I am suffering this winter quite badly with the cold. First of all I have to tell you that I did it! I completed the 50k word challenge! The book is nowhere near finished, and there will be a lot of editing and rewriting to do but I managed to complete it and I feel very proud of myself. It played havoc with my hands though.

So, the latest joint to go over to the dark side is my right elbow. It is terribly painful and it makes it damn near impossible to shop as I can't even carry a light bag without feeling like my elbow is on fire. So I am considering buying a shopping trolley type thing, as the last thing I want is to be reliant on having someone with me every time I shop. I didn't really have a problem with using a walking stick, but for some reason I am fighting this. It's ridiculous isn't it? But it's getting ridiculous now. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance and take care

x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done on completing the novel, ouch. How long are you allowed for editing?

Re shopping trolleys - I think different areas have different ideas. When we moved her - from only about 5-6 miles away - I was amazed how many people used them. I'd hardly ever seen one where we used to live. I mean everyone, not just the disabled or elderly. Trolley-dodging was the first lesson to learn :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I love your avatar name!.
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Hi ouch, so proud of you for achieving your goal!
    There are some funky trollys on Amaz..., I am lucky to have a car but at my worst I was using a fold out wheely document carrier to get things from my car into my flat. Have a look online and see the range there is.

Jenny
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Congratulations ouch on you completing the novel, I hope it is a best seller and you make lots of dosh :) Re- shopping trolleys think I need one myself as I am a bit one handed at the mo :lol: shall have a look on amazon.......good luck x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done Ouch- amazing achievement! :D

I gave in and got a trolley thing to move my school stuff about before I took early retirement from teaching in April. On the plus side, they make it easier to "carry" loads about, but I found it a real problem whenever I got to steps or stairs-sadly there were several small flights around school, so I was rather thwarted. :? .

For me anything that enables me to be more independent is a positive move. Maybe it's worth getting an inexpensive one to try initially, and investing in a better quality one later if it works for you?

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my early days I bought a very pretty, bright pink trolley with four wheels and found it a boon because it supported me. Then things worsened and it became too difficult so I stuffed it full with my spare handbags. :wink It (and them) have been recently donated to charity. They can help and I recommend a four-wheeler because they offer the user better stability; don't, however, overload it. DD

PS Well done on completing the book, that was some effort and congratulations are in order.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Well done on completeing your book.
    As for the trolly......I used to use a pull trolly...not one like DD's that you push.
    I've also got a "thing...plastic" it folds up.......I think its for pulling documents about. I got it when I was in information volunteer for AC and had to take loads of those booklets to hospitals and fill the stands....OK so I have a car but getting from the car to the hospital and then into it and to the place the stand is......no way could I carry them. I found that great as well

Love
    Hileena
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Well done ouch! Remember us when you're rich and famous from your royalties! ;-)

Re the trolley - I used to use one when I was just 20 yrs old and young and fit to boot! It was the easiest way, since at the time I didn't have transport and nobody looked at me twice. I say get a pretty/cool/jazzy looking trolley and make everyone jealous! Hugs x
    Toots x
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Hello all

Thanks for the congrats messages; I am taking a break from the frantic writing of November and am slowly editing the first half of the book. I will polish that and then start on the second half. I have until June to get it ready and then I can have it printed into paperbacks, and made for sale if I choose to do so (I'll see how it turns out first!). But either way it is an achievement.

I have to admit I am not doing so great at the moment, I'm not sure whether it's the cold weather or a flare up or a natural progression but I feel pretty lousy most of the time. Mentally I'm fine, but physically I'm a wreck.

The SI/hip pain used to be intermittent - mornings were worse but it wore off during the day but now there is no let up at all, no matter what I'm doing it kills. I walk my youngest to school and back every day, that floors me. Sitting down is horrible. Lying down is not too bad until I try and get up (that's not pretty!). But on top of that my right wrist is shot as is my elbow, and I am getting a lot of pain in the tops of my fingers and toes, as well as heel pain, and the pain across the knuckles on my hand when I drive is sickening.
    I am also suffering terribly with my eyes. They are dry, itchy and burning all the time; I had to go and buy artificial tears the other day to try and get some relief. I did attempt to make an apt with my GP but his first apt is mid January!!! I am seeing the rheumy next week so will mention it all to her. (The dryness is not confined to my eyes either...I shall leave it there but ladies...you know what I mean?)

Take care all

x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Congratulation on finishing that novel....that must have taken some doing...I cant use a shopping trolley at the min, but if you get one make sure it has the little wheel at the back much easier for getting it up and down curbs.. ,,hopefully when you get the novel in your elbow will ease up for you..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Sorry, I thought I'd answered this but obviously brain fog took over and I forgot :madnoel: (I know that one is DD's favourite).

Anyway, not done much editing apart from the first half of the prologue, but I am happy to take it slowly. Many thanks for all the encouragement.

I am going to get myself a shopping trolley, not a big bulky one but just a bag on wheels type thing as I simply cannot carry bags anymore and I don't see why I should make myself suffer for the sake of appearances and anyway, who cares what people think, eh? :candycane:

Daughter is now 15 weeks gone, and she had her first scan picture the other day. Aaaawwww....even at that early stage you could see it's little fingers. I am very much looking forward to being a nana (Grandma or Granny is strictly forbidden!!!) They are having a private gender scan on Saturday so I will know whether I need to buy pink or blue!!! :presents1:

I'm loving these Christmas emoticons!

x