Just got my appointment through for Rheumy Clinic

Options
Teapot
Teapot Member Posts: 271
edited 4. Dec 2013, 23:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
2 weeks ago during my really bad flare (which has not gone away completely) my gp put in an urgent appointment for me to see another doc (I was not happy with the last one unfortunatly, but this happens sometimes so my gp said). Anyway I received an appointment today to attend the Rheumy (Early stages of inflammation) Clinic. Has anyone attended a Clinic like this if so what happens. My last appointment was with a Rheumy consultant at a large hospital where I seemed to be railroaded through the system and got very scared at the mention of meth. I felt this was going too fast because I had only just started taking my first RA tablet Naproxen and it had not had chance to work. Is the clinic a different senario to seeing a consultant. Sorry gabbling on a bit. Any info would be welcome to prepare for this on 13 January.

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Valde
    I'm afraid I can't really help as haven't been in your position. However, I would like to say that Naproxen is simply an anti-inflammatory which is treating the symptoms of your RA, not the actual disease. The principle of the meth drug (and others) is that it reduces the disease activity that is responsible for causing the inflammation in the first place. I hope that helps by way of information in the meantime. Good luck x
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    toots is right, nap is only an anti-inflammatory and will not affect your over-active immune system which is the cause of RA. If you want your RA to be brought under control then you should take a DMARD of some form (disease-modifying-anti-rheumatic-drug). I am on three and care not one jot because they are necessary to help me get the best quality of life I can while I am here to live it.

At my hospital the consultants work in the rheumatology clinic so you may be seeing another consultant within the clinic. Your flare may well continue in the meantime because it is not being dealt with. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry I can't imput as it is OA I have, I just hope you will get an app soon and you will get some relief..................tc.......................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi valde, I don't want to advise on meds, but just wanted to say make sure you write down all the questions you want to ask the Rhumey on a pad so you don't forget and take it with you. That way nothing gets forgotten. Let us know how you get on please.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi valde
    Sorry I cant offer any help , but I do wish you well, please let us know how you get on...I do hope they can help..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I totally agree, Naproxen is an anti inflamatory medication as are ibuprofen etc That won't actually help to slow the disease you have, RA, unfortunately!!

The Consultant likely mentioned Methotrexate as it seems to be one of the DMARDs that help RA quite well. The unfortunate thing with all autoimmune types are that they need our over active immune systems slowed down to help control the disease!!

I think it would be well worth your while giving the Helpline a ring for more clarification if this doesn't help!! Try not to panic.

It's also worth typing Methotrexate in the Search box at the top of the page.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x