Watch out for this one

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 19. Dec 2013, 07:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
At this time of year when packages are being sent and received it would be easy to fall for this one so watch out!
I had an email purporting to be from Royal Mail about a package supposedly held up.I have relatives abroad so although I hadn't ordered anything that would fit the bill I couldn't dismiss it completely. I contacted Royal Mail direct(NOT via one of the message links!) who confirmed that it was spam. The message was more convincing than is usual for the sort of phishing emails that I've had in the past, with several plausible looking links within the body of the message in addition to the usual attached link.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the warning daffy..they never give up do they
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks for the warning Daffy appreciated xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I too have had these type of emails and as my son and his family live in Canada I wondered what was going on as the messages were quite threatening saying I would be charged a daily holding fee if I didn't make contact.

FedEx was one of the companies mentioned which is a bona fide
    Company.
    Some right rogues on the net eh?

Kath
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Thanks, daffy.

If ever anyone needs to find out if something like that is bona fide or not, snopes is the website to use.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    I had a text like this with a premium number to call ::)

I found a number online to forward it to my provider O**ange the number was 7726. I expect other providers do the same.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Thanks for the info Daffy.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Thanks Daffy. I've had these before from UPS. It is easy to fall for it at this time of year when people are ordering online or have family who may have sent something. I always go to the apparent senders website to check or contact them direct. They are getting more clever at camouflaging the emails.
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Christine you're so right, and that's why I had to check it out. I've had some since from other carriers but I can dismiss those as I know they won't be genuine in my case.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've had one, but luckily I've not sent or due to receive any parcels from Royal Mail! So I realised it was a spam.