New on here advice please

Options
Fens
Fens Member Posts: 3
edited 4. Dec 2013, 15:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
This is my first time on here, I'm 42 and have been suffering from OA for the past 2 years (although symptoms may have been longer). I mainly suffer in my thumbs and wrists but at time my other joints in my hand also pain me at times, Especially this time of year. I'm currently working in full time employment, but I am struggling as I work with my hands all day as a hydraulic hose fitter. I need to change careers but I have no ideas what I should do. If anyone has any advice at all,I would truly appreciate it as I'm becoming very low in mood, and I can't afford to crash as I also suffer from bi-polar. I have spoken to my gp unfortunately they had nothing.
Please help.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fens, nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum. :D
    Arthritic hands don't make life easy, and are a real pain!
    You can get gloves for arthritic hands, they might be worth trying. I find heat helps mine, soaking them in warm water, or a paraffin wax bath. That's only temporary relief though.
    As for work, and career change, I'm afraid I have no idea :?
    You do sound as though you need to talk to someone, you could call the helpline number at the top of the page, I believe they're very good.
    I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer you, I'm sure someone with more ideas will be along soon.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi Fens and welcome from me, too. Well done on trying to persevere with work despite the difficulties.

I think Numpty's right that an enquiry to out Helpline might be good. If you can't phone due to working hours, you could either put a post on the Helplines thread (Just copy and paste this one) or email them.

These people might also be able to help. http://www.yourworkhealth.com/

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello fens and welcome to the forum
    I am sorry you are suffering like this I do sympathized has I have OA in my hands but I'm lucky I am retired.sorry I cant offer any working matters advice..but I see the others have...I do wish you well and please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi fens

Welcome to the forum, like yourself I have OA in my hands, I have had a DIP fusion done on one finger and a Trapeziectomy just last week on one of my thumbs. I am afraid I cant help either on the job front as I can't work due to a neurological condition I hope you manage to contact the helpline I am sure they will be able to give you some advice, good luck hope to see you around...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Fens
    Fens Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for valuable information I think I'll try the hotline as soon as I can. Again thanks