Massage, anyone?

Options
scribbler
scribbler Member Posts: 54
edited 19. Feb 2014, 16:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have any of you had experience of using an electric massage machine as a way of relieving pain? I've seen details of various machines on the web but very few are on display in the shops ranging in price from less than £20 to well over £200 and I've no way of judging them. My GP seemed to say it won't do any harm and may be useful.
Any comments gratefully received. Many thanks.
:)

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Hubby bought me one that does my back n if I scoot down a bit it'll do my neck too.

It's like a chair back that you plug in & it has a couple of different settings. I can't tell you the make at the moment as my sons fiance borrowed it but it lovely!!! I should qualify that by saying 'unless my fibromyalgia is playing up' as it runs over a few of the tender points & they make me yelp & jump out of the way which can end up hurting me more .... Sooo other than that, yes it's lovely. I have PsA & OA too.

Good luck :D

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am 'done' by a human being who is more responsive to my needs compared to a machine. A place to try one may be a motorway service station - they often have one or two there to 'de-stress' tired drivers. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I have an adjustable bed with massage and I love it, I like it in the morning and when I go to bed at night, also if I have alie down i the afternoon and I am feeling a little stressed. I have tried the chairs in service stations too and the only problem I have with them is that I want to sleep there! not good when I still have four hours to drive :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Like Debbie I have the back massager that fits on the back of the chair..its quite powerful..but doesn't help at all I'm afraid....maybe like DD says try and have a proper one done at a salon see how that goes..
    Love
    Barbara
  • scribbler
    Options
    Many thanks for the comments on massage machines.

And Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2014.
    :rudolph:
  • scribbler
    Options
    A bit of feedback for the people who replied to my query about massage.

After much searching on the internet - you can get some rather weird sites when you put "massage" into a search box - I finally found a hand-held massager that works for me. I'd asked my GP and the response was that it might help and wouldn't do any harm.

The massager I've got is a beurer MG21. It plugs into the mains and isn't too heavy for me to use, About the same size and weight as a rather large hair dryer. It gives an infra red massage and I use it on my hips and back as and when I need it. I bought it in January and reckon I use it 2 or 3 times a week for 5 - 10 minutes at a time. It feels comforting and helps me. Might be no use to someone else though.

Many thanks for the advice. :)