Has anyone had withdrwal symptoms when stopping Tramadol

Options
Teapot
Teapot Member Posts: 271
edited 15. Dec 2013, 12:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I was in a lot of pain recently coco did not work and gp gave me Tramadol. This stopped the pain. I was taking 2 three times a day and did this for around 10 days or more. Felt like a zombie and was no good for anything but I did not have pain. Anyway I cut out 2 for a couple of days and then on Tuesday I decided enough was enough and took no more. I have felt so bad, night sweats, having to shower in the night, can't sleep, nausea, bad taste in mouth and smell in nose, no appetite, not really with it and extremely tired. Overall feel terrible. Rang gp today who confirmed I was suffering withdrawal systems because I came off too quick. I now have to take 1 Tramadol a day for 4 days and also take para a couple of times a day and then I have to take a further 3 Tramadol and para but missing a day in between. I should then be more like myself after this time. I am really saying to anyone who for the first time taking a strong painkiller to ask questions (I did not) like how long to take, how to stop. Sorry this is a moan but I feel so awful and depressed at the moment and could kick myself for being stupid.

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Tramadol definitely does cause withdrawal but I didn't know it could happen in such a short time!

*I do wish GPs would consider prescribe slow release tramadol more. They have far fewer side effects but work just as well.*

I think you need to have a fone consultation with ure GP, they'll be able to advise you on how fast to cut them down as I fear stopping 2 in one go was too fast :?

Paracetamol also causes bad withdrawal. I've come to the conclusion, for myself, that I need these meds & will for life so I call myself med dependant not addicted ;)

I hope ure GP helps, they certainly should!!! Good luck.

(((( ))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I must admit any I was on my GP always advised me never to suddenly stop them and always gave me advice how to slowly come off them. At least you will know for future reference you will have to seek advice. Hope you feel better soon........................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    If you do feel you could 'kick myself for being so stupid', valde, then it's both brave and public-spirited of you to come on here to warn others.

Some of us do bleat on about taking as few pain meds as possible and the dangers of aiming for 'pain-free'. We can end up taking more, and stronger, meds just to stay where we are.

Quite a lot of 'auto-immuners' resist taking DMARDS/anti-tnfs because they fear the side-effects but nowhere near as many seem to fear the side-effects of pain-relieving meds.

Well done for being open about what has happened to you. Please keep us updated on your progress away from tramadol. You have done exactly the right thing by contacting your GP. You now have a plan of action and I very much hope it works well and smoothly for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you all for your messages. After speaking to my gp on phone and him telling what was wrong with me it certainly helped mentally to know what I was dealing with. I am going to follow his instructions to the letter and hopefully I should get out of this by Saturday week which is when the last Tramadol will be taken. At least I have managed to eat a small cottage pie which is the first proper food I have had in 2 weeks, again I think that is all down to the mental feeling. I am the sort of person who cannot deal with the unknown, once I know what the problem is I can deal with it a lot easier, its the unknown that frightens me. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
  • stickywicket
    Options
    The unknown frightens all of us, valde. You sound very determined and that will help greatly.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Valde,

Did I miss a big part of ure post or was it edited?

I'm SO sorry if I skipped over the part where you'd already spoken to ure Dr!! I feel awful as my post seems to be stating the blindingly obvious now I've re-read ure initial post.

I can only apologize & also agree with SW that the subject is of great importance!!

I'm glad you now have a plan to follow & that it's put ure mind at rest.

(((( ))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thanks Debs. No problem my post was a bit rambling this morning as I did not really have a clear head. Thanks you anyway for reading it and replying. I will keep you all informed how I go coming off Tramadol the RIGHT WAY.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your experience with Tramadol.
    I have taken them for years , but the amount you took in 10 days is what I take in over a month.
    I get withdrawal symptoms when my body tells me I need one!
    I can't keep still and feel shivery then hot and sweaty.

Hope you can come down off them and all works out well for you .

Kath
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You were not being stupid, Valde, it is much more the case that you were innocent of the effects these stronger meds can have. I think you are relatively new to this whole malarkey (yes?) and therefore probably expecting more than the meds can deliver, which is hardly surprising. Us old hands can post all we like about not being reliant on the stronger meds because we have been there, done that, seen the film and worn the Tshirt, but for you newer ones it's a very different experience. Pills usually equals better - welcome to the weird-and-not-so-wonderful world of arthritis where that may not apply. :(

It's time to re-group and reduce more sensibly. It may not be easy but we will be supporting you, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I was never warned about withdrawal either and I felt awful when I stopped taking them. I took them when my disc first went and I had terrible nerve pain. Obviously they didn't do anything for that pain and so after taking 2 four times a day for about a month I stopped. It was like I had the flu. When I told my GP she never even said about withdrawal. I googled it!
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you. Yes you are right I am new to all this as my symptoms only started around Feb this year so I have not really been sorted out ! I hope that when I go to the clinic in January I will get some help to understand all of this, although I get so much help off of this site I can't believe how helpful everyone is. I look each day and would not be without it. I live on my own and get so much warmth from you all. I have family but I feel I can't keep moaning to them all of the time as they don't really understand. You all do and I thank you for that. I did as doc said and did manage to get sme sleep last night albiet in 2 stages of 3/4 hours but I feel better for it today. The withdrawal symptoms are not as bad as yesterday morning so taking the 1 Tram last night obviously helped. I know that I will never take another med without asking question after question as I do not want to feel like this again. Thank you all again .
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    please dont be to hard on yourself valde..we do the best we can to ease the pain...when I went to the pain clinic the nurse warned me about the side effects of coming off strong painkillers ....I didn't listen and like you stop taking tramadol after 3 weeks...well you know the results....hope you get some relief very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That's what we're here for, valde. I'm so pleased you had a better night. Keep up the good work :D
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Thought I would just let you know how I am getting on withdrawing from Tramadol. It has been a really rough time and can't believe how ill I have been.

I followed gp insructions to the letter and I am due to take last tram on Saturday night. I won't say I feel right because I am extremely tired, have stomach ache a lot of the time, and am not sleeping well only 2/3 hours a time, and then lay reading or listening to radio. But I feel I am improving each day because my appetite is returning. I still have a lot of stiffness and my feet and ankles really hurt.

I went to supermarket with my sister today, first time in 6 weeks and am now suffering but at least I did it. I am taking paracetamol and my naproxen like to gp said so that does ease it. I shall be glad when I take the last Tramadol tomorrow as I have been so scared, angry (because I have not been able to take care of my 2 year old grandson, and I have missed that). Also my daughter has had to do all Christmas present shopping for me.

I am hoping that I can manage on naproxen and paracetemol until I see rheumy on13 Jan.

Anyone any ideas on sleeping and what to do about aching feet and ankles, I don't see foot clinic until Feb. Any little or big tips would be gratefully received. Hope you all have a good evening and night. Thanks for listening to me bleat on.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    First of all, valde, well done! You have done so well in sticking to your GP's instructions at a difficult time of year in terms of overusing aching joints. Only one more day to go :xmas_cheesygrin:

I know how big a thing it can seem to just go round the supermarket but that's a lot of walking when you've not been able to do it for some time.

I find a hot bath helps my feet. Trying to time your meds so that you can take some going to bed might help. You might also find it helps to wear ankle supports sometimes (You can buy them from the chemist) but not for too long as then the muscles will stop working and that would make everything worse. However, if you wore them just for, say, going round the supermarket, or when you had to be on your feet a lot that might help as long as you then take them off again (and try to put your feet up, too). :noel:
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you Sticky for your reply, what would I do without this forum ! I will take your advice and tomorrow take my meds a bit later before bed rather than mid evening. Also Iwill go to local chemist as its just up the road and get some ankle supports and give them a try for when I know I am going to be on my feet. I have been resting feet a lot lately and I think they were a bit shocked to walk such a lot today ! Many thanks.
  • villier
    Options
    Well done from me too Valde you are nearly there. I have a neurological condition that affects my feet, legs and a host of other places, I find when I have a flare I soak my feet in lukewarm water with Epsom salts it helps dampen down the pain a bit, whether it would help arthritic pain or not I have no idea, it is very cheap to buy and may be worth having a go..............Marie x
    day is full of Smiles
  • Teapot
    Options
    Will definitely give epsom a try - should be able to pick up tomorrow with ankle supports, thanks.........well that my Christmas presents to myself sorted !
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Oh WELL DONE Valde!!!

I am totally impressed how you have coped with all this - you are so nearly out of the woods aren't you? :areindeer:

Good to hear your appetite is returning so you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

If me feet and/ankles are sore I do 'pillows' underneath them and around them so the duvet doesn't touch them. I do hope you get to your next rheumy apt ok, but if it's too much you must ring your rheumatology helpline

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    valde wrote:
    Anyone any ideas on sleeping and what to do about aching feet and ankles, I don't see foot clinic until Feb.

You're doing great Valde, so pleased for you. I don't have much to add, other than re the pain in the feet and ankles - I sleep with a pillow between my lower legs so that my ankles aren't laying on top of each other (oh, I'm a side sleeper) and tuck a spare downie under the bottom ankle. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it does give a little relief. Hope that helps x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If all has gone to plan, valde, you are now tramadol-free :presents1: Well done :candycane: I hope things are a bit better for you :areindeer:
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you all for helping to get me through this horrible episode. I took my last Tramadol last night and did sleep a long time but they do make you wake with a thick head. No more and never again will I want to go through this. I know that it will probably take a good few days for my body to get used to not taking them so envisage some sweats. Also its strange but the sore stomach is only there in the morning if I did not take one the night before but I have worked out that this is probably my body saying "come on give me a pill", but NO NO NO. I am preparing myself for a bit of a rough week ahead and if it does not happen it will be a bonus. Thank you all again for helping me, I am so grateful, and I will let you know how next week goes. One more thing I spoke to a friend today when she rang and she told me that she is taking glucosamin tabs and it has definitely helped her knee problem once they got in the system. Has anyone tried these and can they be taken with Naproxen. Hope you all have a good day.
  • villier
    Options
    Glad that is by for you Valde, hope this week is not to rough for you, sorry cant help with the naproxen, I am sure there will be others along to give their input............Marie x :candycane:
    day is full of Smiles
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hopefully the next wee while will go quickly and easily for you! Hugs! x

Re the glucosamine - my pharmacist was happy for me to take glucosamine, cod liver oil and rosehip supplements (all three) while taking Naproxen. I literally called and gave her details of the mg of each one and she reassured me it was fine. Always better to check independently, but thought I'd share my experience.
    Toots x