Fibromylagia and inflammatory arthritis

Options
firestar
firestar Member Posts: 44
edited 7. Dec 2013, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

I am struggling to see a difference between fibromyalgia and poorly controlled inflammatory arthritis and was just wondering if any one would mind telling how you understand the difference?
And are you able to tell what is a flare and what is fibro- if so how?

Thank you
Xx

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello firestar;

You are not alone there, even some doctors can't tell the difference. I believe the main one or two differences are that fibro creates tender points in the muscles in a specific pattern and a very disrupted sleep pattern.

It's not my diagnosis at the moment so I can tell you what it feels like.

Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have PsA, OA and fibro. When my PsA flares I become extraordinarily tired, achey joints all over the shop and generally feel as if I have 'flu. With the OA-affected joints the pain is sharper, hotter, it burns in both knees, both ankles and my right hip. With the fibro I feel tender to the touch and it is my muscles (rather than the joints) which are not conmfortable. Mostly I don't bother distinguishing, it is what it is, it will do what it will do and I have to get on with it, end of. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi Firestar,

I nearly put firestarter, it's a good job I double checked ... I blame fibro fog!! :lol:

I have Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA), Osteoarthritis (OA) & Fibromyalgia (FM).

A flare of PsA, for me, feels like shards of glass running thru all of my veins, it then feels like some of it collects in my joints, tendons & ligaments which feel like they're cutting into me & grinding against each other. My morning & night stiffness is far worse than at any other time & my fatigue gets worse. I often feel like I've got a cold or flu.

An FM flare, for me, causes the usual tootache pain in my bones to get really bad & it pulses, it's loathsome. Also I'll either sleep up to 18hrs a day but I never ever feel rested or my usual insomnia gets much worse so instead of 4-5hrs sleep it'll be 2-3 at most if I'm lucky, I've had periods of no sleep for 3days then only get 2hrs. My skin can hardly bare to even have my pj's & quilt touching it. All of my 'normal' symptoms are escalated basically. I feel like I'm made of lead!!

OA I find is heat based & stabbing. It can grind & clunk but I've not experienced a 'flare' of it. Tho I'm sure it's quite possible.

Basically it's like all of my usual symptoms are hugely amplified.

That's how I know the difference. It's taken me being off of the PsA meds to be able to differentiate between the them!!
    Pain is pain until you flare, ul know the difference I think!! Remember that we all have things to differing degrees & it's unlikely 2 people will describe these things the same way!!

I hope that makes sense & is of use.
    Welcome by the way :D

((((Hugs))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • firestar
    Options
    Thank you very much for your responses and being so open. It does seem very difficult to manage.

My rheumy threw it into the mix at our last appointment but I don't think I have it (thankfully). I think my pain is more specific to set areas rather than everyone and my sleep is not a problem when my pain is managed. If I have a bad night it is more due to pain or night sweats and occasionally if I am overthinking. And if I am tired it makes sense if there is inflammation to be tired.
    I am a bit worried about being diagnosed with it because it feels like he said it because I am vocal about still being in a lot of joint pain and not feeling like it is being managed well and not impressed by the service provided. I might have it but not convinced at this point in time.

I have another question if you don't mind. Have any of you been 'stigmatised' or been dismissed because of the fibro diagnosis?

In my professional experience some doctors are a bit dismissive of the diagnosis and also less willing to be proactive in treating patients with fibro. Which is why I don't want the diagnosis unless it is really there.
    Has it helped or hindered you having the diagnosis?

Thanks again
    Xxx

8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The pain is part-and-parcel of arthritis, no matter what form it is. In my experience the meds I take have never addressed the pain as I was told they would and the pain relief meds dull only the sharper edges. The quality of my sleep is poor thanks to joint pain from the toes up, and regular sweats (probably thanks to the fibro). I do not achieve the deep level of restorative sleep but I am still refusing the chemical cosh that the doctors can provide. I may be tired but at least I am not mentally foggy - I prefer to have my wits about me.

Regarding work I was fortunate in that I was self-employed but I have had to stop because the required effort became too much. Those who do not have our troubles won't necessarily understand what we are facing. Have you googled 'The Spoon Theory' and 'There's a Gorilla in my House' ? They offer clear explanations for those around us of how things are. DD
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi again,

I'm a patient of the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases (RNHRD) in Bath. (Though my lack of treatment this year has been non existent :xmas_evil: ) They are fairly cutting edge & involved in many trials etc I was under my Rheumatologist for a couple of years wen she diagnosed me, it's a specific set of tender point tests & you must have 11 out of 18 plus a history that is taken, a combination of both will determine whether you have an FM diagnosis or not!!

I've, personally, had absolutely no Drs or Consultants (except the rudest, smug young female neurologist) doubt or dispute my diagnosis & in fact my Dermatologist & practice Nurses are convinced I also have ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as its now known) but I refuse to be checked for it as I feel I have plenty of illnesses already, thanks very much!! :lol:

So it seems that West Wilts & Bath, at least, are completely on board with FM as a 'real' health issue & I can certainly assure you that it very much is tho I wish it wasn't!!

I think the stigma that ure talking about is becoming less & less as more research is starting to show proof that it exists!! The brain scans, I can't remember wot type they were sorry, actually show patients brains, with FM versus ones without, wen they're affected by what 'normal' brains would barely perceive as pain, in the fibromyalgic brains the pain centres lit up like Christmas trees!!! These sort of results are considered as another step closer to total proof as they can't be faked.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • firestar
    Options
    Thanks I love the gorilla in the house and a very timely reminder that I am fighting the gorilla again.

:carolers: :madnoel: :santa:
    Sorry couldn't resist trying the Christmas smilies!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    And therein lies the secret - don't fight the gorilla; like all 'partnerships' it's about learning to live with each other. Your gorilla is undoubtedly an unwelcome guest but it's here to stay. :( DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I do not doubt the existence of Fibromyalgia. Research is revealing new data about it all the time.

However, because the list of possible symptoms is quite long, for some of us whom have illness that is not straight forward and easy, it's possible to be diagnosed with fibro when in fact you have an treatable inflammatory arthritic condition.

This was the case with me. A GP could not find a inflammatory basis for my pain, would not refer me to a rheum, and insisted I had fibro. The problem is there is little treatment available. He insisted I was best treated by a GP. The result was I changed GPs, consulted a rheum and have PsA (and possibly Fibro, too), an illness for which there are treatments and best received by a rheumatologist. If I had not changed GPs I would still be treated with SSUI's and pain management. My PsA would have lumbered on and worsened along with my troubled mental health.

In my case, it was well worth a second opinion and rheum referral.

Anna