Nelson Mandela

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 16. Dec 2013, 07:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
The world has lost a truly remarkable human being, one of strength, dignity and humanity who showed tremendous taste in colourful shirts.

Requiescat In Pace.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hear hear DD RIP x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Such a brave man,and like you say so dignified, after 27 years in jail he just got on with life....so sad...and yes I loved his shirts .. :) RIP....
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Sad loss to the world ; R I P .
    Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Nelson Mandela was a true hero. We get so many nonentities held up for hero-worship – the modern-day equivalent of plaster saints – who have done very little, if anything, to earn our admiration.

Mandela genuinely gave his life for a cause, and what a cause it was! A friend, visiting S Africa in apartheid days, was appalled to find two queues in every shop – one for whites and one for non-whites. The non-whites all had to wait until there were no white people left to serve. When Barry indicated “This gentleman was before me” there was stunned silence.

Mandela didn't just quietly retire when he was finally released from 27 years imprisonment but continued to work with FW de Klerk to abolish apartheid. He showed no anger or bitterness or self-pity, only continued dedication to achieve black emancipation. RIP indeed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    He was a very special man. R.I.P.
    Karen xx
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Truly brave and great man. I was watching TV when news broke and sat glued to it for ages. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    A man we will never see the likes of again. Mig
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    i agree Mig, what struck me about him was he was so calm and didn't have any real hatred or anger in his heart eve though he was incarcerated for 27 years, now although its a sad day at least the world can look back and rejoice in his life, lets not forget those who fought in the struggle but didn't get to see the victory over apartheid and Mandela become the first black South African president, Steve Biko for one.
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    A wonderful man who put his beliefs before his freedom.

Rest in Peace. The world will mourn your passing.
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    i agree mellman01
    a truly great man with no anger in his heart just peace..
    RIP ..Nelson Mandela.
    mike26.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    what can I say that hasn't already been said a loss to humanity, I doubt the world ever see such a man again he deserves the highest accolade the world has to offer.
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My Aunt went to live in South Africa in the 60's and was also appalled by the treatment of some of the population. when she tried be kind to them she was frowned upon.

She reckons Steve Biko made her a cup of tea. who knows? but I agree with Mellman. Lets not forget all those who died for the cause.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I just hope Jacob Zuma can feel Mandela's presence over his shoulder, Mandela had such power of presence, he was one of those rare types that had a God given magnetism and his was a true force for good he also didn't see colour just the character of a person thats such a rare trait even today, Zuma hasn't he's another Mugabe, a despot who's only interested in getting rich of the backs of the poor, he's also been squandering Mandela's legacy but with luck he won't be in power for long, I hope whoever comes after is someone who revered Mandela and has the best intentions of the country at their core.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When the news flash came on and I'd heard he had passed away I cried, he was and always will be my hero. I had to choose a topic to do course work on for my English literature exam when I was at school, it was 50% towards my final G.C.S.E grade. I choose Aparthied for the subject for my course work. The course work was broke up in to different things including a play and a talk you had to stand up in front of that year and do. As well as a paper on it. I included Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela in the course work. I really learned a lot about the segregation of black and white people at that time and how Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela fought and got in-prisoned trying to make everyone equal. And Steve Biko having to Die trying to make that change. I watched the film 'Cry Freedom' about Steve Biko. Since then I've read the book 'long walk to freedom' about Nelson Mandela and the book 'Goodbye Bafana' which is a story of the friendship made between Nelson and a prison guard it's very moving. Nelson Mandela such a huge influence on Africa what he did for that country and the people in it will never be forgotten. He should be made a saint!! And the effect he left on people not just in Africa but round the world will always be etched in their minds and hearts and will be passed down from generation to generation. Sorry for going on but thats why he's my hero!!