Traditional tree or modern one

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 13. Dec 2013, 18:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I like the Traditional one, they look good, but I hear they are a nightmare to hoover around for weeks, and you've got to take it to the tip afterwards.
Plastic ones don't look as good but save a bit of hassle..... which one do you put up at home. Alanthemanc :xmas_mrgreen:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I like both and both have their good and bad points. When we first moved in here there were two little fir trees in the garden. We dug one up carefully, kept it cool and well-watered and used it for two/three Christmases, re-planting it afterwards, until it gre too big. Now we have an artificial one.

When we were kids it was the same, little tree every year. When the branches got a bit sparse my Mum lined them with cottonwool 'snow'. She used it long after we left home. On the bottom it bore the legend 3/11d. :noel:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    The real thing. We have a wooden floor so the needles need to be swept up but to me it is a price worth paying.
    One year my daughter got upset when we said we had to cut it up and remove it from the house,She was heartbroken and posted notes all over it calling for a reprieve and referring to her Dad and I as murderers!

We now just leave it outside the house and the recycling peeps take it away.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    We have an artificial one, but it looks as near to real as you can get. I love real trees but our house has no parking anywhere near (built 500 years ago when there were no cars around!) and there are steps everywhere so it would be a nightmare trying to get one home. Plus I don't have a Mr Ouch to help with it and it's just too much for me to deal with. :xmas_cry:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Artificial for me too

I think I might be like your daughter Elizabeth :xmas_cheesygrin: Bless her!!

I rather like the silly fibre optic ones. :xmas_redface:

love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Fake because the real thing leads to my not being able to breathe that well - breathing is important, yes? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Fake because the real thing leads to my not being able to breathe that well - breathing is important, yes? :wink: DD

:shock:

Definitely!!!! :madnoel:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I like both, although I have a modern one as i have no room in my flat for a real one, my tree wont be up this year as I am a bit one handed at the mo :madnoel:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alan how are you doing..
    We used to have a traditional one..but it was the getting rid of them after...and yes Elizabeth I get upset watching them die off...but I did love the smell....so we have our fake one...but what a pain it is to put together... :rudolph:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    I love a 'traditional' tree, but for all the reasons mentioned, make do with a 'fake' one. Must say though, they are so much better than they used to be :)
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Barbara...... yeh ok, can't sleep much due to arthritis, never mind. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to all on hear.
  • tkachev
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Artificial for me too

I think I might be like your daughter Elizabeth :xmas_cheesygrin: Bless her!!

I rather like the silly fibre optic ones. :xmas_redface:

l thought you might be upset Toni however the time to get upset is when they get cut down in the first place. :cry:

I love having an excuse to make my OH tidy up his mess. Despite the new large shed bought in January and a garage to put his scooter bits in he still manages to smuggle boxes of bits into the lounge.

He's now had to have a tidy up for the tree.

elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Yes I do get upset Elizabeth when they are cut down :xmas_redface: you know me too well :xmas_cheesygrin:

love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    We are going to get one with roots this year Toni. OH is going to plant it out after Christmas.

Has anyone else planted out a Christmas tree?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Ahhh, we have the best of both worlds, a manmade lookalike that drops bits all over the carpet......... :xmas_mrgreen: :xmas_mrgreen:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Has anyone else planted out a Christmas tree?

Elizabeth

Yes, see my post above, Elizabeth :noel:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I have Elizabeth, a tiny wee one my Husband was given by a customer at work :)

We have one at the front of our house too which the neighbours planted out :)

Both are doing well :)

Love

Toni xxx

t79105.gif
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I've always had a real tree, until last year, when my daughter bought for me an outrageously expensive, and amazingly real looking, fake one. I'm very pleased with it, the only thing missing is the lovely smell of a real tree!