New Here, Can Anyone Advise?

Options
Jake
Jake Member Posts: 5
edited 10. Dec 2013, 05:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

My GP is certain I have OA in my hip, waiting the results of X-ray. I'm 41 and have pain in groin and thigh, will I be referred to a rheumatologist or is this something the GP will manage.

Thanks

Jake

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jake

Sorry to hear you're in pain x If it's OA you're suffering from, there will be no rheumatology referral, they generally deal with auto-immune issues. Your GP will 'manage' you with possible referral to orthopaedic departments. As far as I am aware, it will simply be pain management for the moment.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. In the meantime, have a hug x
    Toots x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Jake wrote:
    Hi all,

My GP is certain I have OA in my hip, waiting the results of X-ray. I'm 41 and have pain in groin and thigh, will I be referred to a rheumatologist or is this something the GP will manage.

Thanks

Jake

OA is usually the gp only, but becuase of your age you might get a referral to a rheumatolgist just to make sure. Or at least that's what I would be asking for.
  • Jake
    Options
    Hi Toots AS5567,

Thanks for the responses. AS5567, my age was my main concern, I've been complaining of stiffness and muscle pain for years. I don't want to be told I have OA and given a repeat prescription and that's that, I would like it investigating.

Cheers

Jake
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I was diagnosed with OA in my ankle 4 years ago by my rheumatologist (after an x ray ) and then referred immediately to a consultant to monitor for a triple fusion. I was already in the system for r.a.

I think you might be asked to have regular x rays to keep an eye on it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jake and welcome to the forum
    Its all depends on your GP mine did refer me to a rheumy...I have OA and had a THR 5 months ago now, it was later on when the groin pain started...you should at the very least have xrays done and be refereed to a consultant..they will then go through your options..ie injection in the hip ..physio or a THR
    Love
    Barbara
  • Jake
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth, Barbara,

I won't be having a new hip. I just couldn't handle being immobile for so long and I hate operations, I'm just too nervous.

Cheers

Jake
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I have a creaky foot in both camps, I began with an auto-immuns arthritis and the joint damage from that has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and now my right hip (thanks to the fact I don't walk very well). I have another year or so to wait for new knees - the delay of four years due to my being too young has also contributed to the ankle and hip trouble).

Having a new hip does result in three months or so of 'inconvenience' but it can also lead to a pain-free life and the other hip not being affected. I'm too far gone now, new knees won't help the rest of me so I probably won't bother. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Jake wrote:
    I won't be having a new hip. I just couldn't handle being immobile for so long and I hate operations, I'm just too nervous.

As the proud owner of two THRs, Jake, I reckon you might change your mind somewhere down the line. I hope so. I wouldn't be without mine :noel:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Jake
    It probably does depend on your GP.......mine did refer me to a rheumatologist........possibly because I asked for a referral to the hospital when he kept saying there was nothing wrong with my hip.....I knew there was although never thought OA........I was on paracetamol and when I went, was sent for an x ray, went back to his office and was told I needed 2 new hips......Have had one and am due to have the 2nd one in January.

Lov
    Hileena
  • Nikkijamie
    Nikkijamie Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi and welcome

I was diagnosed with OA in my right hip last year at age 31. I didn't get any referral or support just told I'm too young for a hip replacement and there is nothing else for them to do just manage with over the counter pain killers.

Good luck let us know how you get on x

Nikki x
  • Jake
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm hoping my GP will refer me. He's quite young and does things by the book. He gave me a full examination and moved my leg in such a way that had me jumping off the bed. There seamed little doubt from then on that it was OA.

Anyway thanks for the helpful and informative responses. I have more questions but I'll start a new thread for them.

Thanks

Jake