Joint Injections

Options
grandadpaul
grandadpaul Member Posts: 33
edited 15. Jan 2014, 16:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all.
I have just recieved a letter informing me that my joint injections (knee/ankle) will be done on jan the 23rd.
I am so scared of having this done..is it painful ?
To be honest and you all will laugh i am thinking of ringing up and cancelling this and hoping no one will know for a while.
I am off work (sick) until the new year and my firm will not be happy to find out that another couple of days or so will have to be taken of in jan.
That is my excuse anyway.
Has anyone ever cancelled and just made do with diflofenic etc?
I know you are all going to shoot me down, but injections are not for me.
Paul.

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hugs Paul. Nobody is going to shoot you down, trust me. It's really quite a difficult one to answer though, as everyone's experience is different and what is painful to one person may not be to another.

From a personal perspective, I've had a steroid injection in my knee. I found it to be rather unpleasant but usually the doctor includes a painkiller in with the steroid. It's not unusual for pain levels to increase for a couple of days after the injection and you are recommended to stay off the leg for 2 or 3 days to let the steroid to it's work.

For what it's worth, steroids don't cure the problem, they simply mask the issue. However it may be very worthwhile for you and many people find that it does indeed give them a new lease of life in the affected limbs for a period of time. Equally, some people find it does not help them at all.

Good luck, whatever you decide. Hugs x
    Toots x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Paul,

We all have to decide what works for us. For what it's worth I've had steroid injections in both hips for bursitis, and in my shoulder. All were uncomfortable but not agony, and all contained a local anaesthetic to help with the pain. All 3 took a few days to kick in, and gave me a lot of pain relief- the shoulder one was back in August, took about 2 weeks to reach full effectiveness, and is still working for which I am heartily thankful! :xmas_cheesygrin: I have to say I was in so much pain for so many weeks I was glad to have it done-I'd have tried anything by then I fear. It is important to rest properly afterwards to give the steroid chance to stay where it was put and do it's job most effectively.

Hope you can pluck up the courage you need to give it a go- but the decision is all about weighing up pros and cons for you personally- so good luck with that! :?

Deb x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Hello all.
    I have just recieved a letter informing me that my joint injections (knee/ankle) will be done on jan the 23rd.
    I am so scared of having this done..is it painful ?
    To be honest and you all will laugh i am thinking of ringing up and cancelling this and hoping no one will know for a while.
    I am off work (sick) until the new year and my firm will not be happy to find out that another couple of days or so will have to be taken of in jan.
    That is my excuse anyway.
    Has anyone ever cancelled and just made do with diflofenic etc?
    I know you are all going to shoot me down, but injections are not for me.
    Paul.
    I can't answer the ankle bit, but the knee's are not too bad. I would say it hurts but its more of a pressure pain rather than stab pain, once the injection is over the pain will go away rather quick. Each time I have had them done the steroids have been mixed with anesthetic to numb the joint which I guess is used to control the pain. After the injections the joints will probably ache a bit but nothing extreme.

I would say it's worth going for a try? You can ask for cold spray too before the injection which will help with the needle part.
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice.
    To be honest apart from being scared i do not think this is for me.
    Many years ago my first consultant told me that all this does is mask the pain and in the long term can lead to more problems/a lot more. (she was not a big fan of them) she mentioned that pain is a sign of your body telling you to take that bit easy and masking pain in any joint can lead to more problems.
    A few years ago i had an opp on my left foot after putting it off for years. The worse thing i ever did to be honest, it has never seemed the same since.
    In short i do not mind taking pain killers/diflofenic etc but injections etc will no doubt cause problems down the line.
    Also i am scared, so that is a big part also.
    I am hoping they will not cancel my treatment or will not see me again at the consultants if i choose to go down the route of no injections.
    Thanks again for all your advice.
    Paul
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Paul
    You will not be on your own being scared of injections...all I can say is that some are more uncomfortable than others, but when they work its brilliant to be pain free for a while..I have had quite a few back ones they didnt work for me but others get great relief from them..I had one in my knee but then they found out I had referred pain from my hip..that is all sorted now...the hand ones works really well till my last lot and for some strange reason they decided not to work.
    So after all my rambling it is down to you..at least you now have us lot to talk it over with... :xmas_cheesygrin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Hello.
    Thank you for that.
    In a way that is my point, if and when they do stop working and they will. There will be damage done by injecting and the masking of pain.
    Will my treatment stop in every ones opinion if i say no?
    Paul
  • Toots
    Options
    Pretty certain that if you decline the steroid jabs it won't affect your treatment Paul. While the docs want to do the best by us, it is ultimately our bodies and we have the right to decide whether to have treatment, or not.
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am a veteran of knee aspirations and steroid injections and yes, they made me run for the hills (and I can't run). I never experienced the relief that some have gained and so won't be having any more. (The triple therapy I am currently taking is doing OK.)

Treatments are offered and suggested but we are under no obligation to accept. I think refusing based on the temporary nature of this is not a bad thing but I would take issue with those who refuse even the base-level meds such as sulph or meth. We have a strong disease and it needs strong meds. Stick with the anti-inflammatories and pain relief but don't put your hurty joints under too much un-necessary stress to help you avoid the extra inflammation this can cause. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I can't really add to what others have said, Paul. For me, the injections were not without discomfort but that was nothing to the pain I was in beforehand. Steroids do, indeed, mask problems but you know you have a problem and the damage done isn't going to go away. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that any damage done by the steroids would be offset by the extra movement and so muscle strengthening that you'd receive.

It's your choice. You'll still be treated if you refuse the jab. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Paul
    I don't think it will affect your treatment in future
    I cant speak for knees but have had quite a few different ones in my back. They didn't work for me but for others they will.
    They didn't leave me any worse if that's one of your worries {apart from the needles}
    Love
    Hileena
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Thanks again for the comments.
    I have had two in my lower back in the past couple of years.
    My last Infliximab drip was a month ago..i was in so much pain when i turned up for it at 8am that i had to wait to see the consultant before they would give it me.
    He said i could have the drip and a injection also.
    It did not work, the one i had before a year or so before also the same.
    So why should the ones in my knee/ankle be any different.
    I have had my last Infliximab drip and now waiting for the weekly injection in my tummy..what ever thats called.
    Lower back injections ok (Apart from not working) but i am working myself up over joint injections, plus as mentioned back ones never worked...think i will cancel the appointment.
    It is on my record that two injections have not worked, lets hope the consultant understands.
    I have also looked around the web on these types of joint injections. the results are as mentioned not always good as post here have mentioned. In fact more so have said they do not work..a lot more.
    Also in a pink booklet i got today with my appointment time was the line..
    " Joints may become permanently damaged by repeated injections over a long period of time "
    In already damaged joints! that is to much of a risk for me.
    I am 51 so ok if the injections do work and say i am on them until for example until am 60, then they stop working my joints will be shot to pieces.
    Oh yes i am scared also.
    Paul
  • Toots
    Options
    Also in a pink booklet i got today with my appointment time was the line..
    " Joints may become permanently damaged by repeated injections over a long period of time "
    In already damaged joints! that is to much of a risk for me.
    I am 51 so ok if the injections do work and say i am on them until for example until am 60, then they stop working my joints will be shot to pieces.
    Oh yes i am scared also.
    Paul

Hey Paul

Sounds like your experience to date with steroid injections hasn't been useful, so I could understand your hesitation over joint injections. I do want to say however, that most doctors will only administer steroid injections 2 or 3 (don't quote me) times due to the inherent risk involved to your joints. So they wouldn't be regular like your DMARD's - I suspect these are being suggested to get you by until your new medication kicks in. x
    Toots x
  • Neilorangepeel
    Neilorangepeel Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I've had 2 injections in my elbow and one in my knee. The elbow ones throbbed for a few hours after and with the knee one I didn't feel a thing. In fact I felt instantly better because they also drained 50ml of fluid off as well. I love the steroid injectections. Makes me feel so much better.
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Thank you as always for your comments.
    Those who have had them...how many have you had/did they indeed do you damage once they wore off?
    Paul
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I have had two, nearly 12 months apart. They were both a fantastic success and only mildly uncomfortable to have. Like others have said they took a couple of days to kick in but then life was much better for weeks. I wouldn't be happy about having them regularly but as a boost to get you over a bad period, if they suit you, they can be a marvelous way of starting back to some sort of normality. Think carefully before saying no - I would try one before rejecting them as an option but you know your body best :areindeer:
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Paul
    I've had many injections into the joint spaces in my toes
    I wouldn't say its very painful but it does hurt a little but the benefits out way the pain felt
    I've had them in my wrists too
    They can use numbing spray which is really cold but helps I've had it with and without and I prefer them to numb it first but it doesn't stop the whole pain into the joint
    Try not to worry about it too much and try enjoy Christmas
    :carolers: best wishes
    Maria :santa:
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice as always.
    I cannot go through with this and am going to cancel.
    Yes i know it is wrong, but i have given my reasons.
    Maybe i will sleep tonight now :D
    Paul
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Paul
    I think sometimes you just have to make the decision that feels right at the time
    So just enjoy your Christmas and try to relax
    Maria :santa:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    GrandadPaul I totally understand how you feel and I am sure you won't find treatment in future is affected by not having the jabs.

You tried them - more than once and they haven't helped. :areindeer:

You take care now

Love

Toni xxx
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    I was going to ring up yesterday as those who have read this thread will know.
    Before i could i got a letter yesterday morning cancelling the appointment and rearranging for feb.
    The date i cannot do because of a work trip. So i rang and cancelled.
    Some times things work out for you :D
    Paul
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    I was going to ring up yesterday as those who have read this thread will know.
    Before i could i got a letter yesterday morning cancelling the appointment and rearranging for feb.
    The date i cannot do because of a work trip. So i rang and cancelled.
    Some times things work out for you :D
    Paul

Almost sounded like fate that eh Paul :xmas_cool:

I think I heard your sigh of relief from here :xmas_cheesygrin:

Love

Toni xx
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I can't praise steroid injections highly enough. They are the only things that can take my joint out of a stubborn flare up. They have worked within about 2 days each time and brought about fantastic results which last a long time. No damage done to me. I've had both knees done twice , both wrists once , my shoulder once and I've had the injection in to the palm of my hands in to the tendon sheath for my fingers. The larger joints are uncomfortable to get done and the smaller ones can be exceptionally painful ( I won't lie) . But I'd do it in a heart beat as the results for me have always been amazing. The actual injection lasts no longer than 1 minute I'd say. Good luck with your decision. Everyone is different and you will know yourself what is best .
  • grandadpaul
    Options
    Just an update on this...
    Saw the consultant a week or so ago.
    He said no problems with me saying no and if the lower back ones never worked years ago, it would be a slight chance these would.
    Was told again its only a quick short fix.
    MY body / my choice

Going on fortnightly injections.
    HUMIRA]
    Any good?
    Just waiting for the nurse to come round my house and explain how i inject it
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been taking humira for four years but for me it's too little too late. I know it's controlling my PsA (together with the meth and sulph) but, thanks to the OA in my PsA affected joints, I don't feel any true physical benefit. Those who do don't post any more because they are out there getting on with things; I hope you will be included in their gang and not mine.

The injections are OK - no great skill is required. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben