No. 10 is ours!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Dec 2013, 08:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
We collected the keys a little earlier then went out for lunch to kill some time whilst she finished moving out. We went round at 1.30 to a scene of utter devastation, mud, dust - and the kitchen is a pit. She rang me yesterday to apologise for the state of things but I hadn't realised it would be this bad. I am going back tomorrow with 'im indoors and a friend to we can get to grips with as deep a clean as possible. She had a cat and oh boy can I feel its ghastly, dandery presence. :cry:

She promised to leave four chairs which were set round the kitchen table (which is a fixture). She hasn't. I know she is returning at some point for paint which is in the garage (as is a load of other stuff) and I assume she will also collect her vacuum cleaner and other bits and pieces.

Our house is looking like a bomb has hit it, there are boxes everywhere (and I have more to do) but the main packing will be done on Wednesday, then we move on Friday. Gulp.

Today would have been my parents' 67th wedding anniversary. A good day to collect the keys, yes? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD not sure if you want to go down this route but our neighbour has moved 8 time over years and each time they get a company to give the one they are leaving a good clean..you could ring round for some prices ..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm sorry you do not need that. :candycane:
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Before I retired I was a school cleaner so believe me there's not a lot that would shock me.We had to do NVQs in building cleaning ,I can clean a lavvi so you could eat off it :? I will be there cyber supervising .Good luck with it all. :xmas_cry: Mig
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Furniture and belongings hide a multitude of sins which only reveal their full glory once the cover is removed, and some folks would prefer to cut and run rather than deal with it. I'm sorry for you DD as it adds to your load and rather takes the shine off things.
    Have a think about getting in a cleaning company if necessary - they will have the right equipment(which would help with the cat residue), and will get it done quickly in one go.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have contacted two local firms and neither can help this week so we will do-it-ourselves. Yes, it is another chore but no matter. The main thing is to obliterate the cat residue (nice phrase, Daffy!) and make sure the kitchen sink is at least healthy. The cupboards all have sticky rings in them. Ugh.

I am now trying to find some curtains that will tide us over. Strictly speaking we don't need any because the house is hidden and secure but I would like to have some for our bedroom as Mr DD will be away for a night next week; I will feel safe but vulnerable (if that makes sense). DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I was chatting to an old friend a litle earlier and she has suggested that I buy some anti-flea powder to scatter over the carpets. That never occurred to me but there again I have not shared accommodation with an hairy, dandery, flea-carrying and moulting thing (Mr DD is gently hairy and moults but is not dandery or a flea carrier).

We will have our first visitors on Saturday at 2pm. They will bring bubbles and glasses for same. How civilised! :xmas_cheesygrin: DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Congratulations DD. Although, the cleaning part sounds icky. I have to admit we moved into our place without cleaning it thoroughly, something my before-PsA self would never have done. It was just not an option. We survived, and gradually replaced the former residents' detritus with our own!

Best wishes :noel:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good that it's yours. Bad that the muck comes with it. I hope the cat dander can be sorted tomorrow. The rest will be dealt with in time.

I like your friends :presents1:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hoorah!!!

k010.gif

As you say the mess will get cleaned - at least you have your new home :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Congratulations to you and mrDD with you new home,
    now all you need to do is deep clean and decorate and settle in
    very exciting for you dreamdaisy,let me know when your having the xmas party.
    I looking foward to a good drink :madnoel:
    I wont keep you dd i know you have a lot to do :noel:

mike26 its a long walk home :santa: :presents1:
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    DD, when I saw the title of this thread..... I thought....Downing Street :lol: (hopefully it's just the meds :wink: ).

Hope you manage to sort things soon :)

Wishing you much happiness in your new home.

Catie x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    A carpet cleaner(machine not sprinkly powder!) would be good for the cat residue, and hot water with washing soda(not bicarb) is marvellous for sticky rings.
    Perhaps your guests could bring rubber gloves and pinnies as well... It will all seem easier after a few bubbles have hit the old grey matter.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, I doff my cap to my new cheapie-from-Amaz*n- Vax purchase, I am so pleased I bought it. The crud it dragged up from the carpets was astonishing. :shock: Mr DD did all the vacuuming on the ground floor - he had to empty it five times (it has a small capacity) but I kid you not, the carpets were a different colour after he had finished. The cream ones looked creamier and the olivey-green one looked brighter. He will do the upstairs ones once we are in - he doesn't know that yet. :wink: I have come home without a wheeze or runny eyes. Astonishing.

I washed half of the cupboards with bleach water and put a washing maching cleaner through the machine. It is caked with black mould around the seal (it is built in so never gets fresh air to it as the door has to be kept closed so the cupboard door it's hidden behind can close too). I will buy a new seal and treat it differently. I will also get a dishwasher cleaner thingy and rinse that through. We also found all the instruction booklets for the built-in applicances too - they weren't in the cupboard I looked in yesterday but today they had appeared - the vendor came back today to clear some further bits and pieces so I guess she brought them back.

Right, I'm off. Ta-ra and take care. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Well.. I am soooo sooo pleased for you both, the place sounds wonderful, the grime..?not so much, and if I could help I would be there with gusto and a blokey pinny :wink:
    but as this is not possible I shall remain in my comfy bed and have sweet dreams of magic cleanimg pixies arriving at the place tonight and getting it all fixed up for you to find the morrow.. :xmas_cheesygrin:

I know how stressful moving can be and I be here in spirirt for you both..

YBH's

xxxxxxxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Well done for achieving so much - sounds like MrDD is pretty useful to have around ;)

Take care be happy there - I am sure you will be :xmas_cheesygrin:

Love

Toni xxx