Finger splints

Options
Pippa
Pippa Member Posts: 23
edited 12. Dec 2013, 17:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I wanted to ask about my hands. The last time I saw my consultant she said that my fingers should be splinted at night.

I'm still waiting for a referral to OP/hand therapy and wondered if I can buy these splints?

I have a few fingers that won't straighten now and am also wondering if it's too late for splinting anyway?

Does anyone wear splints on their fingers?

Has it helped?

Is it something I can buy?

I'm on my second dmard now (mtx and sulfalazine ) though I'm still waiting for any real relief from either of these drugs.

Also I'm very low and weepy, are anti depressants helpful?

Sorry for the long post, but I haven't anyone else to talk to.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Pippa. Well, you have us to talk to now :areindeer: A problem shared is a problem halved, you know, and we do understand how it is with arthritis though we sometimes wish we didn't :roll:

I fairly sure we have people on here who use finger splints but it's a bit quiet right now in the run-up to Christmas. I hope one of them will be along soon but, in the meantime, if you enter 'finger splints' into the Arthritis Care search engine, quite a lot of stuff comes up. Also, if you look under the 'Publications and Resources' button, you'll find there's info on exercises and that includes hand exercises.

How long have you been on the double therapy? It can take a while to kick in but, essentially, they are intended to lower the levels of disease. That might translate into less pain for you or it might not. You may need to take some pain relief too.

I've never done anti-deps but many on here do and find them helpful. Why not ring up our Helpline people and have a chat with them? And do join in anywhere you like on here or on Chit Chat. We don't bite and new voices are always welcome :noel:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Pippa,

Just wanted to say welcome aboard. Sadly I don't have any experience of finger splints, but I do get a lot of relief from using my wrist splints-maybe they work on the same principle?

As Sticky said, the dmards take a while to kick in fully, so don't be discouraged, I think it took over 3 months to start feeling the benefits when I started methotrexate, but I am definitely better in lots of ways.

Deb x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Hi Pippa, and a warm welcome hug from me too. I can't help you with the finger splint question, but I know I've seen mention of it before, so I'm sure someone will be along with more info soon x
    Toots x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Pippa, I was told that OT don't do finger splints as I had asked for one of my fingers. However the orthopaedic surgeon has just cut some of the muscle and tendons in my palm to straighten one finger and has given me a splint, which I asked if he could include the other finger and he has. It has to be worn at night, although he did say if I came back he would operate to straighten the other finger. So maybe ask for a referral to an ortho.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey Pippa and welcome :candycane: x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Welcome Pippa,
    I'm really sorry to hear that you are having a bad you're having a bad time!
    I have used bespoke hand splints which were made at my local Rheumatology Hospital and I'm sure my hands/fingers would be far worse if I hadn't been able use these splints.
    I have used anti-depressants many times over the last 20 years and have found them to be a godsend during a bad flare.
    I hope you feel better soon..

Prem
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Pippa,
    And welcome from me too.
    I have ring splints for the fingers on my left hand, to stop the knuckles from bending the wrong way. The rheumatology physiotherapist gave them to me. I also have a resting splint for my wrist hand and fingers, which I wear at night and any time in the day I feel I need to, this also came from the physiotherapist.
    You can buy the ring splints, but I think you should be measured properly for them, and it's best to speak to a doctor/ physiotherapist, to make sure it's what you need.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    The OT dept moulded me a kind of whole hand / wrist splint out of plasticky stuff a few years ago. I was meant to wear it in bed for my hands so they'd be in a good position. I didn't find I could get comfortable wearing it at night and my hands would swell up and it became too tight. The splint is good for really bad times during the day when it forces me not to use the hand as its totally cumbersome ! Not much help I know but maybe your dr could get you to the OT to make you something. :candycane: