NSAIDS

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 13. Dec 2013, 04:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all

Does anyone know what happens regarding medication if you can't take NSAIDs? I am due to have my follow up to the rheumatologist on Friday, and the general feeling is there is some kind of inflammatory arthritis going on (prob AS but possibly PsA) and I was wondering what happens if you are intolerant of NSAIDs? I was on diclofenac and it worked well, then my GP switched me to naproxen which was awful and I ended up in A&E with gastritis. The GP now says I can't take NSAIDs at all. So what would happen? Would DMARDs be the next port of call (assuming they are appropriate of course).
Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

:noel:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't been able to take NSAIDS for years, ouch, as they wrecked my stomach but I'm fine on meth and hydroxy (DMARDS) with a stomach protector.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Sticky, That's good to know. I was taking omeprazole with the naproxen but still I was in agony. Will/do they skip the nsaid stage if you can't tolerate them and go to the next level? It was the GP who had me on diclofenac and then naproxen, not the rheumatologist.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think that will depend entirely on your results and your rheumatologist but my guess would be yes. Make sure they know your problems with NSAIDS,
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    I always thought of NSAID's as something that ran along side everything else, including DMARDs, rather than a level all on their own. I may misunderstand, but the way I see it is it shouldn't interfere with your care, ouch x
    Toots x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I believe the first-line therapies are NSAIDS which either stop working or side-effects stop you from taking them. You have failed them due to side-effects, so the second-line therapies are DMARDS next if docs can confirm your problems as inflammatory. In my case (PsA/Spondylitis) I went on prednisone before DMARDS, but this step should only be brief, if the docs go this route at all.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    I went straight on nsaids+methotrexate. It is likely you will be put on a dmard. I am not sure of what you could take if you can't take a nsaid.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I have a similar story to Sticky. I was banned from NSAIDS after sever stomach reaction so I got moved onto biologics as I had also gone through most DMARDS by that point without much success.

Jenny
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry ouch I take them for OA and was already on Lanzoprasole any way for a stomach complaint so cant really comment, but hope you get some answers at your rheumy app, I see mine tomorrow, think I will be discharged. Hope you have a positive app :presents1: x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Ouchpotato

I am also intolerant to standard NSAIDS such as brufen, diclos and naproxen despite PPI (pumped protein inhibitor???) of lanzoprazole 30mg daily.

However the rheumatologist prescribed me Arcoxia - a newer anti-inflammatory, (called a COX2 inhibitor), which is far easier on the stomach and more expensive. Recently my GP tried to take this off my repeat prescription due to cost I think, luckily the rheumatologist put it back on crossly saying it only costs £28 anyway!!

I don't know whether this is any help at all?

But I hope so because DMARDS and anti-inflammatories don't do exactly the same job, (as far as I know), and I know I can't manage without mine.

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Hi Toni

That is interesting, thanks. Hopefully they will try me on those. I think meds are going to be a bit of a nightmare for me, as I am intolerant of so many of them. The NSAIDs, and also morphine based drugs make me very ill. I was on buprenorphine and my stomach literally exploded with it, I'm not sure if the fentanyl patches work differently?

I went shopping today and the pain in my hip/thigh started almost as soon as I got off the bus; it's getting to the point where I don't want to go out! Cocodamol doesn't seem to be helping much any more.

x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Poor you Ouch :xmas_cry:

I'm sorry your hip hurts so much being out like that :(

I am like you as far as a lot of meds are concerned co-codamols make me queasy and tramadol makes me vomit for days.....the Arcoxia has been great and I am lucky that the bu-trans patches work well for me - I have always thought because they are slow release and I don't get that 'burst' of the drug to make me feel ill :?

Available for pocket duties as an when ;)

love

Toni xxx
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I had a bad reaction to Naproxen and my GP has put me back on diclofenac. Life is much happier for me now. The GP said although there was a small possiblity of cardiac problems on diclofenac it had only been highlighted in this drug due to its time on the market. These types of studies had not yet carried out on naproxen so they didn't really know if that would turn out the same. He felt that if it worked for me and I didn't have a family history of heart disease then the risk was probably worth it. So far he has been right but it is, of course, a personal decision.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That's interesting, Tuibby. I remember being on either diclos or nap way back so I checked out when they were first used in UK. Diclos 1979 and Nap 1976. I wonder why nap hasn't been checked for heart problems :?
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I was taken off antiinflams full stop...gosh I miss them they did help...sorry I cant offer any a advice ouch..like you cocodamols don't work...wouldnt you think they would have found something that didnt have the side effects.. I do hope you can find something that gives you some relief very soon...sorry I'm not much help.... :xmas_redface:((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I am not sure whether the doctor has his facts right but Naproxen does have warnings about heart disease so perhaps it just hasn't had the bad press yet or the beady eye of NICE upon it :madnoel:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    My knowledge of NSAID's is
    They all carry heart risks........but diclofenic is worse than the others. This is from my GP who took me off it and put me on Naproxen.

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think, like all side-effects, these things need to be seen in perspective ie most people will be fine on most NSAIDS. Anyone with existing heart problems, a family history of heart disease, a smoker or someone on a poor diet is more at risk. I took diclos, nap and all manner of NSAIDS for years with no heart problems - just stomach :xmas_cheesygrin:
    Steven Wright