Non weight bearing exercise

Options
Minnie
Minnie Member Posts: 3
edited 14. Dec 2013, 09:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding exercise. I'm 26 and had a knee arthroscopy just over a month ago. I'm still quite limited with regards to being able to walk and stand, I do as much as i can daily before pain restricts me. I would really like to do a bit more exercise as i've been putting on weight since the op.

I've had a look for knee exercise classes but there doesn't appear to be any of those in my area. I also have a morbid fear of swimming pools, meaning swimming isn't really an option for me. I would greatly appreciate any advice about how to start building my fitness back up again.

Many thanks
Claire

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Claire

What about getting an exercise bike from Freecycle. I wore my first bike out that I got from my local Freecycle and soon found another one. So many people get these bikes and then get bored with them and they do take up quite a bit of room. I only do 10 minutes every day but it is good exercise but not weight bearing.

What about Chair Zumba - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgW6CCb3Wk

I hope you are soon able to walk and stand more.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Just to add to Elna's link.........I do seated zumba once a week and love it......Haven't been for a few weeks due to hospital appointments but will be back this Mon.....then 24th Jan that is the end of that for me for quite a while......THR......can't you imagine {anyone having had a THR} trying to do that and keep the 90 degree rule :lol:
    If you can find a class...give it a go
    I'm like you.....I know swimming is the best thing but I detest the swimming pools so that has always been a no no for me
    Good Luck finding a class

Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    I go swimming as often as I can and have also taken part in a yoga class at which some people used chairs to do as much as possible.

Good luck with finding good exercise for you and your knee :candycane:

Love

Toni xxx
  • Minnie
    Minnie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Yoga and zumba sound good, I hadn't realised you could do seated versions of those. I've an exercise bike lying outside in the garage, im hoping to get back on it over the next couple of weeks as i still don't have a great amount of bend back in my knee.

Thanks again for the suggestions :)
    Claire