My GP just rang about the meth

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 12. Dec 2013, 10:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
She was writing my prescription, the first since I'd arranged with rheumatology to put it back up to 15mgs instead of the 12.5mgs I'd dropped to. She rang to remind me to have extra blood tests immediately after upping them again :o

In all the 13 or so years I've been on meth I've never heard this before. Admittedly, I've never upped the dose for years. But I mention it because many on here stop their meth when they have a cold or infection. I've just stopped mine for 3 weeks to help get rid of my cold. That might well mean we should have extra bloods when we go back on again.

My GP's surgery are very good and on the ball. It might be that others don't bother as much but I thought it worth mentioning.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there Stickwicket

Good to hear you are being a good girl and having the extra blood tests for your increased MTX dosage and taking the time to alert us on here too :areindeer:

Thanks for posting - it might be something others should be thinking about.

s050.gif

love

Toni xxx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi SW,

Wen I had mine stopped at the end of June I had to continue with monthly methotrexate bloods until I was either restarted on them or put on a different med, as you know it was a different med.

Until then, wen I had been ill I'd only been told to stop it once b4 & that was because of glandular fever. I was on 20-25-30mg. I did restart bloods properly after that tho coz it was a long break.

It's an important & very valid point you raise!! Bloods are an important part of our monitoring of these strong meds.

I hope ure well now :madnoel:

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hello Stickey I have just upped my dose and have to have a full blood count 1 week after starting the new dose :rudolph:
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello SW...its good of you to alert people to the blood test..not all GPs are on the ball...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    thanks for the reminder,

Deb xx
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    arr stickywicket this is very good news, your doctor is on the ball
    and keeping an eye on you and your bloods.
    it just shows that they do keep an eye on us and look after our well being.
    well done hope the upped dosage to 15 mgs helps you more.
    good luck stickywicket.
    mike26 :hoho:
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    my consultant does it for a month with weekly bloods & then back to monthly but been on 25mg for few years now , you are lucky your GP told you to do this
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Not only lucky with the GP. The pharmacist has just rung to say he might have given me only 23 meth instead of 24. If so I need to ask for another.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Well I'm glad to be off it even more now. I was taken off it for a month in March and then went straight back onto 17.5 injectable and not offered new blood monitoring for 3 weeks. Needless to say my liver AST and ALT were both slightly raised. I queried this with my GP but he just said that was okay as my liver was always a bit raised when on MTX. This wasn't very reassuring when you think how long I might have been taking it for? A bit too laid back methinks?! :presents1:
    If you get lemons, make lemonade