i was told yesterday i have arthritis of my spine

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
edited 22. Dec 2013, 16:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
I'm sorry to go on I know people on here are feeling just as bad if not worse than me.my back and arms and legs ache I can only stand for a little while and they are worse.
I have osteoporosis I take 16 tabs a day as well as oramorph the consultant said he cannot do anything else.
I just wondered if anyone else had it.
thank you
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Joan, I'm so sorry about this latest thing. You have far more than your fair share to put up with and yet you are always so cheerful and kind to others.

I'm sorry I can't help. I've got off lightly in the spinal area. I do hope someone has something to offer you but it's rather quiet on here right now.

All I can send is these and you may have as many as you wish. (((((())))))

(I shall ask Santa to bring you something in his sack :santa: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Joan :( I can offer only hugs, gentle ones at that xxx
    Toots x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Joan;

I have arthritis in my spine. Not fun is it? So far it's constant in my upper back and has left me with some curvature and constant pain. The rest of my back is intermittently painful. It's an inflammatory arthritis (PsA/AS) and flares and remits pretty regularly. I really struggle with the constant stiffness and pain.

Rest and heat (lots!) are the only things that seem to help. I struggle through exercises which I'm sure help my posture and muscles. I also try to do some exercise in the swimming pool regularly.

Take care, so sorry to hear you have this.

xxAnna
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello Anna
    yes I have a curvature of the spine and a disc pressing on a nerve.
    I have been going to the hydrotherapy pool for 17 years I have cerebral palsy I did go to the gym but stopped because I liked the treadmill and I went faster than my body could and I felt worn out.
    thank you
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Yes it's very easy to overdo things isn't it, Joan? I do this too, then pay for it later.....

((((())))Anna
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Joan, sorry to hear this, I have it and it is painful. As Anna said heat helps and does stretching and I find you need to rest your limbs as they ache. I had some acupuncture from the physio for my neck and that was really helpful. The pain clinic can offer it and sometimes injections into the spine but maybe that isn't advisable with osteoporosis?

Sorry to not be more helpful.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Oh Joan :(

Poor you! I am sorry, you have enough to contend :(

I guess I have it in my back too as it's been degenerating for years and have had to have surgery in the past.

Nerve pain is really hard to treat

Thinking of you

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Joan
    You are the last person that I would say "goes on" You have got so much to contend with and are always so cheerful and helpful.
    I have arthritis in my lower spine. Kypho scoliosis, slight hump top of my back and the rest of the spine is a C shaped curve.
    I've got Osteopinia but not as yet osteoporosis althoughno doubt that will come
    I can't think of anything at the minute except lots of gentle {{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan,

You are not alone as you can see. I can join this club too. I have scoliosis, OA of the spine, have lost 5 inches in height and have been diagnosed with OP.

I have always done exercise as really feel that it helps but since being dx with OP I do a lot more. It takes up quite a lot of my day so then I feel like I never catch up. I do 10,000 steps plus, nearly every day so go out walking. I have a pedometer which is a real friend to me! I do stretching exercises, jumping jacks, which I thought I would never be able to do but persevered and can now after a long time, do 50 - 60 at a time. I do lunges. I go to a local Tai chi class which is a lovely class of ladies of my age and older all suffering with something or other. We all went out for a meal yesterday and it was great to get to know some of them better.

The scoliosis consultant I saw recently was surprised how I coped. He told me my upper back muscles are keeping me upright. I tend to walk slowly and fall sometimes. I weave about when walking too and hope others do not notice it and think I have had a few drinks! It does get me down at times so you have my sympathy. Everything seems like a struggle but I have not given in to it yet.

Gentle hugs to you,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Joan I am so sorry to hear this I can offer no advice but can send you some of these ((((()))))......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Joan you certainly dont go on..you usually suffer in silence...I have OA in my lumber and some at the top of my spine..my wheatbag is my bestist friend...the ones that you heat in the microwave..like Elna I keep moving ...not always easy....I also take gabapentin for nerve pain from my back..sorry I don't have any more advice but you know were I am ...
    (((((()))))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Joan. Hugs xx
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Suzygirl
    I will ask about acupuncture they do it at our doctor's surgery.
    thank you its worth a try.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Toni thank you for answering.
    I hope you are not in too much pain.
    how is Cris doing I hope she is ok.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello Hileena
    thank you for answering you take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Elna
    I go to the hydrotherapy pool and do exercises in the water every day I do stretching exercises. my walking as got worse my legs ache and I cant move they go stiff the doctor said its the cerebral palsy and my age but I can do things sitting down.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Marie Barbara and Kitkat.
    thank you for your kind messages.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Toni thank you for answering.
    I hope you are not in too much pain.
    how is Cris doing I hope she is ok.
    take care
    joan xx
    I will tell Cris you have been asking after here when I text in a minute. She is doing ok as Cris does - keeps on going doesn't she? She had her trigger point injections last week so hoping for some relief soon at least in her neck.

Love

Toni xxx
  • mellivenelli
    mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hello

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the lower spine this year and now it is starting in the upper spine too. Experiencing a lot of soreness and nerve pain ( although orthopaedic surgeon reckons there is no nerve compression which i find confusing.)

I hope you are well supported by friends and family.
    You will find a lot of support on this site :)

Mel xx
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the lower spine too, on Friday. I wasn't xrayed on my upper back but that is becoming worse with every passing day so I guess it's there too!

You're not alone x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Thank you Elna
    I go to the hydrotherapy pool and do exercises in the water every day I do stretching exercises. my walking as got worse my legs ache and I cant move they go stiff the doctor said its the cerebral palsy and my age but I can do things sitting down. take care joan xx

Dear Joan

Your doctor made an unhelpful remark saying that at your age you can do things sitting down. With osteoporosis and osteoarthritis it is important to keep on the move as well as resting/sitting. I really sympathise with you, as we both realise our walking has got worse. We just have to do the best we can, which is keeping active as possible but resting in between too.
    Even standing is better than sitting if you can do that sometimes when doing things. Good for you for persevering and continuing to go the hydrotherapy pool daily and doing stretching exercises too (same as I do). :) It can only help and going to the pool also gets you out with others.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Joan

Cris said to give you the link to her blog so you can 'see' how she is

http://skezier.wordpress.com/

I hope that works ;)

By the way Cris also has arthritis in her back

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Thank you Elna
    I go to the hydrotherapy pool and do exercises in the water every day I do stretching exercises. my walking as got worse my legs ache and I cant move they go stiff the doctor said its the cerebral palsy and my age but I can do things sitting down.
    take care
    joan xx

Joan, you are a fine example to us all and I'm sure you do all you can. Sometimes these things still happen regardless. We don't live in a perfect world. My mother, in her later years, often asked "Do you know where they're giving out new backs?" I still don't but I'll ask Santa for you. Take care and Merry Christmas to you and Sue :santa:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello Elna
    the consultant at the hospital told me I was good to still be walking sue had to use a wheelchair at 50 she still goes to the gym she hasn't got arthritis.
    I cannot stand for long the pain gets worse so I sit I love walking we have a big bungalow with a big garden I take my time doing things.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Toni
    thank you for Cris's blog that was interesting.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx