Sore big toe

Options
Mormodook
Mormodook Member Posts: 130
edited 1. Jan 2014, 12:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have RA (15 years ) and my big toe has been giving me big problems recently.I've got insoles for my shoes from podiatry ( I've had several pairs over the years ) but now I think my big toe could now be damaged. i got xrays last time i was at my rheumy but as yet no results . I've taped it up for now so it can't really bend it . Has anyone ever had the op to help the toe? I'd like any advice please so I can raise the option with the rheumy and know if this is actually a sensible thing to do ! Merry Christmas everyone and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and reply .

Oh ! And how do you strap up a big toe ? :madnoel: cheers!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have toes you wouldn't believe, mormodook :madnoel: but no ops on them. I know we have a few on here who have had foot ops but I'm not sure about toes. Do you mean a fusion?

I suggest you ask your rheumatologist about it at the next visit. you may be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. At that point you could decide whether or not to go ahead. I tend to feel that feet are so complex, if you tinker with one bit it'll only impact on another but they certainly can hurt.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello Mormodook
    I had a bunion on my big toe 2 years ago I had a triple fusion on my foot
    and at the same time they straightened my big toe and put a plate in it to keep it straight. I had fractured my toe horse riding.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Mormodook
    Options
    I have toes you wouldn't believe, mormodook :madnoel: but no ops on them. I know we have a few on here who have had foot ops but I'm not sure about toes. Do you mean a fusion?

I suggest you ask your rheumatologist about it at the next visit. you may be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. At that point you could decide whether or not to go ahead. I tend to feel that feet are so complex, if you tinker with one bit it'll only impact on another but they certainly can hurt.

Thanks stickywicket. I'm definitely going to ask my rheumatologist when I see her next. I've been reading about toes / feet and it seems they can try a couple of other procedures before fusion. I wondered if anyone on here had had any done.......and fingers crossed worked ! Thanks , enjoy Christmas :areindeer:
  • Mormodook
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello Mormodook
    I had a bunion on my big toe 2 years ago I had a triple fusion on my foot
    and at the same time they straightened my big toe and put a plate in it to keep it straight. I had fractured my toe horse riding.
    take care
    joan xx
    Hi dachshund ,
    Hi , thanks for your reply. Can I ask if your triple fusion and plate have alleviated the pain ? Merry Christmas :areindeer:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Mormodook...I dont think we have met so welcome from me
    I cant offer much help, but if you try toe fusion in the search at the top of the forum it should brings something up for you...there are two serch buttons use them both...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello Mormodook
    yes I have no pain in my foot now. when I had the fusion my foot was in plaster for 13 weeks the first 6 weeks was no weight bearing the next 3 weeks
    i had a air boot on and i could put a little weight.
    now its back to normal. it was 2 years ago i had the op.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Mormodook
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Mormodook...I dont think we have met so welcome from me
    I cant offer much help, but if you try toe fusion in the search at the top of the forum it should brings something up for you...there are two serch buttons use them both...good luck
    Thanks Barbara , I will do just that .
    merry christmas :areindeer:
  • Mormodook
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello Mormodook
    yes I have no pain in my foot now. when I had the fusion my foot was in plaster for 13 weeks the first 6 weeks was no weight bearing the next 3 weeks
    i had a air boot on and i could put a little weight.
    now its back to normal. it was 2 years ago i had the op.
    take care
    joan xx

thank you . It is so lovely to hear a success story . What a long recovery process but it must be so worth it now. take care x
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Hi - sorry you are having this trouble with your toe. I have had pain in my big toe a couple of times so I know how debilitating this can be even though it's such a relatively small joint. My dad had a lot of pain in his big toes but he had gout. It would perhaps be worth making sure that gout (as an add on to RA) has been ruled out because it is also an autoimmune condition and specifically affects the big toe joints I believe. Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Mormodook
    Options
    Mat48 wrote:
    Hi - sorry you are having this trouble with your toe. I have had pain in my big toe a couple of times so I know how debilitating this can be even though it's such a relatively small joint. My dad had a lot of pain in his big toes but he had gout. It would perhaps be worth making sure that gout (as an add on to RA) has been ruled out because it is also an autoimmune condition and specifically affects the big toe joints I believe. Mat
    Thanks Mat48 ... That is something to think about. I think I will ask Santa for a we toe ! :hoho:
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    hi I know what you mean ,I had my big toe joint removed and fixed with a plate and screws as the OA had damaged it and it couldn't move much with out pain, but the wound would not heal up spent 3 days in hospital for AB's on IV took many a/b's but only then did they do an x ray which showed the plate had snapped a real rarity apparently, so they opened it up removed the plate and left it as it was, it doesn't move and is shorter then before but the pain is rare in it now, apparently the cartilage and tendons etc all hold the toe in place, good luck with your's