Fatigue

Options
Rikuslouw
Rikuslouw Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Dec 2013, 06:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have osteoarthritis in my knees. I have recently experience some “lameness” in my legs especially when I clamp stairs, my legs in general just feel weak. I swim 2-2.5km at least 4 times a week so this cannot be from being unfit. Can this be because of the arthritis?
Thanks Rikus

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome rikuslouw.

I don't think any of us can really explain what's going on in your legs as we're not medically trained. It sounds as if you do keep very fit though it's still possible that some muscles are not being used as well as they might and, even with a good fitness regime, arthritis is a degenerative disease so it won't be held back forever.

I think you need to see your GP with this. It probably is just the arthritis having a bite but you need to be sure. You could maybe ask him if he could refer you to a physio who could check that you are using all your leg muscles correctly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I don't know either but was told by one physio that when you have inflamed joints that even regular exercise doesn't build up the right muscles - or something like that. Worth checking with your gp though, just to make sure nothing else is going on .
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I know what you mean. It happens to me too. I used to run half marathons so was very fit until RA and OA made it painful. I have lost fitness and definitely need to up my exercise. Good idea to suggest a physio though.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Rikus

First of all may I welcome you to our forums - it's lovely to meet you :areindeer:

If this is a new symptom I would suggest you do see 'someone' about it - probably your GP. It might be that you need to use a walking aid now though? Just to be on the safe side? A fall outside might result in you getting hurt :?

Take care

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Rikus and a warm welcome from me...I remember some one on here saying that the knees can start to give way due to OA...you are doing the right thing swimming has this will build up other muscles around your knee and thigh has well has others..but if you are worried go and see your GP and see if you need to see a consultant...good luck
    Love
    Barbara