Ribs

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 16. Dec 2013, 16:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello lovely people

I just wondered if any of you suffer with your ribs, especially at the back? My main problems are my SI joints and hips, but I am getting increasing pain in my mid back, either side of the spine, across my ribs. It's horrible and almost worse than the SI pain, it's really dull and achy and makes me feel sick. My ribs do hurt at the front and sides too but not as much as the back.

It's lovely isn't it, the surprises arthritis keeps springing on us?

:madnoel:

x

Comments

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey. Yeah I get this! Sometimes it is the worst pain for me ouch. Eek hope you can get some relief soon! X :candycane:
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    ouch its a long time now since I posted on this, but mine was across the front of my ribs ..I suffered for a couple of months and then one day it had disappeared..I have been told it can be a symptom of fibro..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're ouchy ouch! This week I've had pain at my breastbone, pretty sure it's where the ribs meet and I know there's a name for this but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm chock full of the cold and coughing my guts up so am headed to the docs later today, just to be on the safe side. Hope you get some respite soon! x
    Toots x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi ouchpotato
    yes i had a bad fall a few months back and landed on my rib cage,
    i hit my ribs with force and thought ide broken a rib.
    just getting over it but still achy and sore.doctor said ribs are very strong
    and prob just brused them.
    i also get lower back pain,along with neck and jaw.
    luckly not to bad at moment..
    hope it eases for you soon..
    mike26 :santa:
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Mike, sorry to hear about your fall. That is what worries me most about the predicted arctic weather in Jan/Feb...I am terrified of falling and doing some serious damage.

Barbara, I was diagnosed with fibro about 3 years ago, but then a different dr disputed the dx, so actually have no idea whether I have it or not!

Toots...do you mean costochondritis? I thought that was just the front of the ribs? I might be wrong, I guess it makes sense that both sides would be affected. Either way it really hurts!

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

xxxx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    That is indeed what I was thinking of, Ouch. But yes, you are correct, I think that only applies to the front. Might be worth getting your doc to check you out hun x
    Toots x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Ouch;

I have PsA, spondylitis and this is one of the worst areas. I've had problems there for years when anything pulled on my arms. It's so tied in with shoulders and neck, it's hard to know what's causing the pain sometimes. My spine is bent forward here and I have facet joint arthritis. It makes me want to scream sometimes, it's so painful!

Regular stretching of shoulders helps (I do some modified yoga) and I stretch out over an exercise ball at least once a day. Heat, lying down often helps too. I have a hard time managing it.

Stress, of course makes matters worse as we tighten up muscles in this area (I'm going to send this to your mum, too!).

Take care,
    xxAnna
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Is it UNDERNEATH your ribs Ouch??

If so I get it too and my GP says trigger point injections might help :? Personally I think pain (elsewhere), and therefore tensing up makes it worse.

Love

Toni xxx
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Toni, I can't really tell as the pain is so diffuse that I can't pinpoint where it is. I know that by the time evening comes around I have to take my bra off as my ribs are SO sore that I can't stand anything around them.

Anna, I laughed out loud when I read that you were going to send it to my mum!!! Thanks, I needed a laugh.

I'm having to take a regular dose of cocodamol just to function - they hardly touch the pain but take the bare edge off so I can at least stop trying to rip my ribs out!!! :madnoel:

x