Advice regarding male Inguinal Hernia

blackbear
blackbear Member Posts: 14
edited 19. Dec 2013, 16:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I am 78year old man have Chronic arthritis in left hip and leg and can barely walk without a stick .I relied on my right leg to get me upright.

Unfortunately I now have an Inguinal Hernia in my right groin and will have to have it attended to surgically. It will be a dodgy operation as I have other complications with my Heart. So I am looking for advice and guidence about the Do's and Dont's. Has anyone any experience of this as My mobility is I think going to be severely affected as both legs will be taking all the strain. Thank You B

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello again, blackbear. I'm sorry to hear you need a hernia op and even more sorry to learn of your other health problems. I'm not sure how much help we can be. There are all too few men on these forums to start with. Given the proximity of Christmas not many are around right now. And I don't remember anyone writing about this problem before.

However, I would imagine that your aftercare problems would be quite similar to those of us who require, or have just had, a TKR or THR and are reliant on an almost equally bad leg on the other side. I'm sure Occupational Health will ensure that you have what you need to cope at home afterwards – pick-up stick, raised toilet seat or even commode if necessary, zimmer frame etc - but some things you could think about in advance are eg the height of your armchair (You can buy either an extra seat cushion to raise it up or things that raise it from under the legs, depending on the kind of chair) and height of your bed (Similar things can go under the bed's castors to raise it). If you live alone it will help to ensure all the things you use most, especially in the kitchen, are at a comfortable height.

If you explain your worries at your pre-op I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you that the OT will sort things out for you. I hope it goes well and makes a big difference.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,283
    Ouch Blackbear :shock:

You poor thing!!

This does not sound nice at all. I have no experience of this myself, just wanted to add my support to you.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, I wish I could help but, alas, I cannot. It is true that we do not have many male contributors on here, which is a shame but I think that men and women deal with matters such as this very differently, yes? I think your best bet is to speak frankly to your GP, surgeon and everyone else that may be involved and I hope they will be able to advise appropriately. Please let us know how you get on and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello blackbear
    Sorry you have to face this op, I have found that a crutch is much better for walking than a stick, with a stick you twist has you walk..so not sure if this has caused the hernia...but it really did my back in...I do wish you well with the op..but please try the crutches..and please let us know how you get on...
    Love
    Barbara