Naproxen

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 22. Dec 2013, 11:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well here I am again with more questions. Sorry. You may remember that I have had a rough time after taking Tramadol and withdrawal symptoms. I think I am now through the other side now as took last one on Saturday, but am still having problems which I thought was withdrawal off Tramadol. Each morning I am waking with stomach cramps and need to use loo after I eat anything (sorry). I also feel so tired and depresssed. I went to GP this morning and he has ordered full blood tests which I am going for tomorrow. He said that the stomach problems could be related to taking the Naproxen which I have been on since early summer 1000mg a day. This can affect some people. Has anyone else had this. On thinking about this since coming home my stomach problems have been getting steadily worse over the last few months but put it down to the effects of the Tramadol. I see the Rheumy in Jan 13th and am not happy with taking Naproxen because of tummy but has anyone stopped this. I do take stomach protectors but it seems that these have not done the trick. Should I take a break from Naproxen has anyone done this. GP said it was my choice but felt I may need the antiinflams. Sorry to go on but I am so fed up with feeling so grumpy (my daughters words are snappy and grumpy), althoug she does understand. Sorry to go on............hope you have a good day.

Comments

• Tinky
    Tinky Member Posts: 34
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    valde wrote:
    Well here I am again with more questions. Sorry. You may remember that I have had a rough time after taking Tramadol and withdrawal symptoms. I think I am now through the other side now as took last one on Saturday, but am still having problems which I thought was withdrawal off Tramadol. Each morning I am waking with stomach cramps and need to use loo after I eat anything (sorry). I also feel so tired and depresssed. I went to GP this morning and he has ordered full blood tests which I am going for tomorrow. He said that the stomach problems could be related to taking the Naproxen which I have been on since early summer 1000mg a day. This can affect some people. Has anyone else had this. On thinking about this since coming home my stomach problems have been getting steadily worse over the last few months but put it down to the effects of the Tramadol. I see the Rheumy in Jan 13th and am not happy with taking Naproxen because of tummy but has anyone stopped this. I do take stomach protectors but it seems that these have not done the trick. Should I take a break from Naproxen has anyone done this. GP said it was my choice but felt I may need the antiinflams. Sorry to go on but I am so fed up with feeling so grumpy (my daughters words are snappy and grumpy), althoug she does understand. Sorry to go on............hope you have a good day.

Hi, I couldn't have Naproxen because I was never off the toilet and I lost
    a lot of weight too.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Gosh

I can't believe I didn't think of that myself :shock: It does the same to me :xmas_cry:

I am so sorry and hope you will feel much better soon

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies now I know its not just me. Did you cut them out completely or just cut down. I am thinking of cutting to one in the morning for 3 days and then cut out for 3 days but would be interested to hear what you all think.
  • Tinky
    Tinky Member Posts: 34
    Options
    valde wrote:
    Thank you so much for your replies now I know its not just me. Did you cut them out completely or just cut down. I am thinking of cutting to one in the morning for 3 days and then cut out for 3 days but would be interested to hear what you all think.

Hi, as my going to the toilet a lot was bad the doctor stopped them.
    But before I went to him I did stop them and it did stop.

I suppose you could try and see. Then you will know for sure if it's them
    of not.

Yvette.
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you Yvette. I have taken one this morning but will try not taking them tomorrow for a few days and see what happens.
  • beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    The only side effects I've had with Naproxen so far is terrible heartburn and a constant thirst, but I've only been on them a month. Are there any other anti inflammatory drugs on offer that actually work? :)
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I don't take them anymore because I developed GERD. I had switched to the enteric coated version which improved the heartburn. I was on them for several years.

There are some newer NSAIDS that don't affect the GI system as badly but I think they are more expensive.

Best wishes,
    xAnna :areindeer:
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    So sorry to hear the meds are giving you a rough time :( For what it's worth, I was originally prescribed Arcoxia, which I am led to believe is easier on the stomach, might be worth asking your doctor about alternatives.
    Toots x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi valde
    I have been taken off antiinflams because of kidney probs...gosh do I miss then...used to think they weren't working..I do hope your GP can find out what is causing the stomachs probs but going off what the others have said ,you have your answer..hope they can replace it with something for you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I am back on diclofenac after a similar experience with Naproxin. Will never touch it again