Taking a treatment break

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 22. Dec 2013, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all,

I'm sorry I haven't been around that much. Hope you're all doing ok. I'm so close to finishing this term of uni/placement and it's all I can do to keep my eyes open!

I started my first anti TNF at the end of August. There's been a huge improvement in RA symptoms but unfortunately, I've been vomiting on and off for nearly 4 months. We've tried different things; reducing MTX and trialling various anti-sickness tablets but it's got worse and worse. :( It's not a common side effect but they feel it could be an interaction between meds, so I'm taking a break from the cimzia and being reviewed at the end of January.

I'll be pretty gutted if it is the cimzia, the thought of my RA returning is not a pleasant prospect because I was so unwell before. On the other hand, if it's not the cimzia, it will be a bit worrying and I desperately want the vomiting to stop. So, I'm in limbo land and a tad miserable about it to be honest. The fact that I have a chest infection as well as my first flare up since starting cimzia probably isn't helping either!

However, in Sophie style, I shall keep plodding along, doing my best and we shall see what the new year brings.

Much love to all. :candycane:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Sophie, I apologise for not replying before now but I have been rather pre-occupied with house-moving nonsense.

I remember this happening to me too - treatment breaks were a fairly constant happening before I settled on the tarnished silver bullet of humira, meth and sulph. I wonder if the cimzia could be better supported by anj alternative to meth? They are out there but this tweaking process is very tiresome.

I think this is a good time to be off the meds because hopefully the Christmas week will give you the chance to rest (which, as we all know, is important) and to give your body a break from its usual daily stresses. I admire your spirit (as ever) but this may be the time to stop the plod and recline, gracefully, on the nearest chaise longue whilst being fed peeled grapes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hi Sophie
    I hope you feel better soon and your body gets a nice rest from the meds x :santa:
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hope you feel better soon Sophie (((()))) hope you have a lovey Christmas........................Marie xx :santa:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I can well understand why you have decided to opt for this and I very much hope it all turns out for the best. At the very least I hope it will enable you to enjoy Christmas, gather your resources together and plan the next move. ((())) and :santa:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sophie
    You really have plodded on with all the uni work..your an inspiration... and I do do wish you well and hope the break helps you..have a lovely Christmas and hopefully 2014 will be a much better one for you..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,285
    Awww Sophie :xmas_cry:

I am so sorry that you are having to have a break from the cimzia, but I agree best to find out WHAT is causing you to vomit :?

I hope the placement finishes alright and you have enjoyed it?

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx :areindeer:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Stick a fork in me 'cause I am done! :presents1:

I'm almost half way through my final year. :o I'm exhausted though! I have some lovely family and friends plans for the next couple of weeks. My final week (out of 3 weeks off!) is meant to be a study week, so I think I'll leave it free to get the first thousand or so words of mini dissertation done. I'm feeling a bit better, except for my back which is in spasm. :roll: I am going to sleep, eat, sleep and eat. And take tramadol because I refuse to let pain ruin my busy weekend.

Thank you for your kind replies. You are all wonderful, as always.
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Hugs Sophie, hopefully you can get to the bottom of what's making you sick and fingers crossed it's not the cimzia x
    Toots x