First cortisone injection

kevsue
kevsue Member Posts: 45
edited 1. Jan 2014, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I am recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. It's worse in my left knee as my job involves driving and it has been so painful I haven't been able to work for 2 weeks. My doctor gave me a cortisone injection in my left knee yesterday and whist it feels "different" I wondered when most people feel any relief. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I am really hoping it does work for me! Can I also ask if anyone else taking naproxen finds it causes nausea?i feel like I have morning sickness!! The doctor has just given me some omprazomole (??) to help combat it. Any comments would be appreciated, I feel a bit isolated, in pain with people around me not really knowing what I am going through (I wouldn't wish this on anyone :( )thanks
Sue

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi.. sorry that you have found out you have arthritis in your knees.. I have too..
    I've had quite a few injections in the knees. First one worked great after about a fortnight. Lasted a while but all the ones after have been a waste of time
    I really hope you were told to rest the knees for a couple of days after having the injections.. that really makes a difference.

I'm also on naproxen. I've been ok on it. The omemaprazole is to protect your stomach so it's important to take this each day..
    I know someone has started another thread to do with naproxen.
    Really hope things ease for you soon. Knee pain is dreadful. Not that other pains are fun lol...

Best wishes.. keep us up to date with your progress.

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    PS. There are many more tablets to try should you not tolerate the naproxen. . :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello kevsue
    Sorry you are struggling like this...and sorry the forum is quiet think they are all busy with Christmas...I have had injections in most places the ones that have worked took a couple of day to kick in...my knee one worked after 3 days..some of the others didn't work at all..my best one was my hands..they last for 6 months...I will keep everything crossed for you that you get some relief ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have a long history of auto-immune knee troubles which required aspiration (draining the gunk) followed by the steroid shot and, although I obeyed my hospital's instructions to the letter, I only ever gained around three days of minimal benefit. (The instructions were bed rest for 48 hours.)

Some gain blesséd relief from these things for up to three months, some gain around a month or so and others find nowt. Everyone is different in how they react and there is no hard-and-fast rule about the success that may be achieved.

Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory and it's good that you are also taking a stomach protector; I think that is to avoid damage to your guts rather than preventing nausea. I am now on omeprazole (protector) with diclofenac (anti-inflammatory) and I find that works better for me. I only take the omep when I need the diclos which is now not that often. Finding what works meds-wise is a matter of trial-and-error: there are many errors and it is a trial. I've being playing this game for seventeen years now and things still need tweaking every now and again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,284
    Hi Sue

Sorry the naproxen making you feel sicky - I HATED morning sickness :shock: Let's hope the omeprazole helps (it's a proton pump inhibitor or PPI :wink: - so helps protect out stomachs from irritants like nsaids)) When I had morning sickness I ate a little a LOT of the time if that helps?

As for your steroid jab - I really hope it helps you. Some get immediate results some take days/ even weeks for it to kick in. Can I also reiterate what tony said - I have always been told to rest for 48 hours I think to keep the steroid where you want it.

Love

Toni xxx
  • kevsue
    Thanks all, my doctor didn't tell me to rest but as I have been off work I haven't done much anyway! I am unfortunately also a type 1 diabetic so the nausea (and the cortisone injections as they raise blood sugar) are causing me grief too. I am just going to have to get used to living with 2 chronic conditions now, hopefully they won't fight each other too much!! Fingers crossed I will feel positive results in the next few days. It probably didn't help that my daughter managed to kick me in my knee today.......don't ask!!!! The nausea has improved today so that's a positive :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You keep us updated then we can at least offer you some support...I do hope the injections work....and am hoping your daughter very young...you take care .
    Love
    Barbara
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Hello Keysue.

I have OA in both knees, too, and hope very much that your injection is as effective as mine were. I had a series of them into alternate knees but am now having to take a break because I reached the maximum number advised earlier this year. Must say that I'm hoping to be able to have more next year if my knees have not reached replacement-time by then.

It took a few days for each knee to be totally comfortable after its injection but they were then amazingly good for several months each time.

I have fingers metaphorically crossed for you that you'll soon be back at work. Take care. :xmas_cool:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,284
    Hope you are ok today kevsue?

and recovered from your daughter's misplaced kick :wink: kids eh?

Love

Toni xx
  • kevsue
    Hi all, things haven't been great. I thought I could feel some benefit of the injection after 2 days, but it only lasted 5 days and I am now in worse pain!! Went back to the doctor and he gave me tramadol . I spent the next day in bed being sick and feeling sea sick although have to admit the.knee didn't hurt!! But not taking those again. As I have bupa cover thru work my doc has referred me to an orthopaedic consultant.Bupa will only cover the initial "outbreak" and not the long term management but my doc says an mri scan would take weeks on the nhs and bupa will pay for that..so my initial appt is on 9th. I am due back at work on 2nd but think I will get a sick note to sign me off till after the appt. Fed up!! :(
    Sue x

Ps happy New year all - going on a Caribbean cruise in 67 days (for my 50th) our holiday of a lifetime plus my eldest daughter is getting married in June- I need to walk again!!!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    So sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time Kevsue. It's good that you can get a private appointment, at least you should be able to get some tests done quicker. Do ask for copies of everything so you can bring them with you to your GP and / or any other Dr's you see.

It's a shame you did'nt get much help from the cortisone injection and the Tramadol did'nt suit you. You could maybe see your GP again in the meantime and ask if another NSAID could be taken or other strong painkillers to help with the pain.

Good idea not to go back to work until things are a bit more stable.