Hot sweats

valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 24. Dec 2013, 09:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Please can anyone tell me why I am having such bad night sweats. These started around the time I was on Tramadol, around 5 weeks ago, but after getting through the withdrawal symptoms with the help of my doctor the sweats are still with me. I do not take Tramadol now. I take Naproxen only 1 x 500mg in morning instead of 2 and my stomach seems to have calmed down. I also take paracetamol if needed. I thought the sweats would go. They wake me around 4 times, sometimes more, a night. I am absolutely soaking wet and then I feel chilled so constantly keep my hot water bottle topped up. I went for full blood tests yesterday and they are also testing for thyroid. I am so tired all the time. Has anyone else had or has these sweats and any suggestions. Its not menopause as I am 68 and also am on my own so at least it dosent disturb anyone else. Hope you are all OK and thanks form help, advice and support

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had these for years (I am 54 and five years post-menopause) and still do. I don't know why they happen, they are a part of life and that's that. It could be side effects from the meds, it could be the continual pain and every movement hurting, I don't know but I love the odd occasions that I feel cold! I keep a fan in my bag, a flannel for emergency mops-up, I sleep with my pillow wrapped in a bath towel and, during the summer, often sleep on a bath sheet. Night-sweats are very common on here, many of us have them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    Many thanks for your time in replying DD. I will put 2 large bath sheets on my bed and pillow tonight. Simple but I did not think of that. Bit brain dead after the last few weeks.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'm 57 and post menopausal. I get night sweats and day sweats. My GPs nurse said the menopause sweats can go on for years. My rheumie (I have RA and OA) said it is related to the RA. I don't take any meds other than paras and the odd coco.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,283
    I keep talking about my Ex MIL today :xmas_redface:

She has had hot sweats for YEARS very bad, tired etc and turns out she needed thyroxine!!! She started on it last week and already the sweats have eased :areindeer:

She is 67 now and clearly they turned out not to be menopausal!

please do let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I don't get these but frogmorton makes a good point about her mil. Maybe worth getting it checked out?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I still get them and am nearly 59 my dear mum still had them in her 70's as frogmorton says it would be worth a blood test...........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • valde
    Thanks everyone. I went for full blood tests on Thursday morning and they tested also for thyroid and everything else. I am to ring gp on Monday afternoon to see if results are back. It could possibly be my thyroid from all of your comments. I will let you know when I get results. Many thanks.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi valde
    I am 63...and since being diagnosed with arthritis I have had night sweats..I have had test for thyroid but that came back clear...so I am no wiser I'm afraid..but I know quite a few on here suffer the same....sorry I'm not much help
    Love
    Barbara
  • pooty
    pooty Member Posts: 6
    Hi there one of the side effects of tramadol is excessive sweating. Its a pain. I went to see the doc and he changed them for another type of painkiller but they were not as effective, so I'm back to sweating like a pig lol xx :hoho:
  • valde
    Thanks everyone for your time. Today my blood test results came back and I have to make a routine appointment with gp and when I phoned they said it was not urgent so I am seeing him on 3 January. I am relieved that there is nothing serious. Except of course arthritis but hopefully I can get some help in Jan when I go to hospital. Still having sweats and my feet and ankles ache like hell. Did a little shopping today round supermarket, my sister took me. so am suffering in the feet area. Tried to buy ankle supports today and was recommended tubagrip but I don't think they are strong enough to support ankles so will have to look around again for something stronger. Anyone have any suggestions. I hope you all have a lovely, peaceful and pain free Christmas and Every Good Wish for 2014.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Valde,

Sorry to hear you're suffering- the supermarket shop had the same effect for me today. I have neoprene ankle supports from the local disability living shop- they have Velcro fasteners so fasten easily, and I do find them good when my ankles are really painful, but they are very bulky-wouldn't be able to wear them with ordinary shoes-I just wear them in the house.
    I'm just back from an hour of carol singing to raise money for the local hospice- really tired but worthwhile. :carolers:
    Merry Christmas.
    Deb x
  • valde
    Thanks I will look for the ankle supports at least it will help in the house and maybe I can find some that I can where when walking. Have a lovely Christmas