A REAL PAIN IN THE NECK

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 30. Dec 2013, 14:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
:xmas_evil:
Hi all.
I wondered if anyone had suffered anything like this. .

It's mainly when I drive any kind of distance. Right between both shoulder blades. At the top of the spine, lower neck area. I get s constant red hot pain right in nor spot and nothing seems to ease it. I'm still suffering now from the drive yesterday. .
I was told a while ago that I have some arthritis in the neck but nothing much I don't think.
It definitely feels like a nerve type pain...

Thanks for reading.
:grin:
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I dunno if I can help that much mate, I don't drive any great distance now (haven't done for years) because I know it causes me trouble one way and another. Come the New Year I will be teaching myself to reverse using the wing mirrors because I find that the greatest strain on my neck but otherwise I cope OK despite having a crunchy neck. Adapt and survive is the watchword - I dislike saying this but maybe it could be time to reduce your long-distance driving? Sorry. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry Tony I wont be much help...my neck pain is a little higher...I hope it eases up for you soon...you have enough to contend with...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,285
    Tony

Could it be lower than the neck maybe even under shoulder blades??

If so I get it and in the end both sides if you get Janet to check she might be able to find a tender spot (in my case now several) Doc says trigger point injections can help and it's due to tension and long term pain in my case. Could the driving be aggravating things????

Sometimes it gets so bad my arm goes weak :(

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I have arthritis in my neck but, like Barbara, the pain is higher up. Whether arthritis or nerve pain, if you only get it driving long distance there does seem to be a simple solution, as DD has said. You could experiment a bit first. Maybe a different driving position would help? Higher? Lower? More upright? At the end of the day, though, if you're going to be knackered on arrival, what's the point? I'm sure any passengers you have wouldn't want to cause you so much grief.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Sorry I'm just replying. I tried once but the signal at the hotel was chronic.
    I'm back home now. . :grin:

Thank you all for the input..
    It's probably just below the neck. Between the shoulder blades..
    The new heatpad is helping..
    I'm gonna mention it to my doctor.

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Hi folks.
    Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas.

I'm still getting the pain in my lower neck. Even when not driving now. The heat pad Janet bought me is great but I am getting awful pins n needles every night now. :xmas_cry:
    Down both arms to the fingertip and each leg to the toes.. it's horrible. I know that I am grabbing the pillow etc but can't feel it if you know what I mean?
    I am absolutely fed up of going back n forth to the doctors. . Especially with different symptoms. I'm sure they'll get fed up of me one of these days.
    I suppose I should go though. I don't think it will be anything major but if there is anything they can do to help I'll be happy..
    For example the injections mentioned above. I am certainly not bothered by needes lol..

Thanks everyone.
    X :madnoel:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi Tony,

The pins & needles with lack of touch sensation .... Is it in your face as well at all?? Kind of feels like a dental injection just b4 it comes back to life?

If this is the case I had the same a couple of years ago, it affected both of my legs, arms & lower face. I had severe pain in my lower spine & between my shoulders/neck.

I, luckily, had a rheumy appointment, she immediately said I'd ruptured a disk in my spine & the gel had leaked out & was pressing on nerves in my back, sciatic ones mainly, I was very surprised that it could affect my arms & face too.

I would definitely advise that you see a GP or Rheumy asap. It may or may not be wot I had but it sounds awful & is progressively getting worse .... Safety first eh?! :wink:

Good luck.
    Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • tjt6768
    Thanks hun.
    I've had nothing on my face. That sounds horrible. . :shock: hope you are ok now?
    I'll be getting into the doctors tomorrow morning if I can.

Thanks again mi dear :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    I'm glad ure gona be seen :)

It righted itself after a number of weeks with the advise of keep moving!! Unfortunately I get very similar sensations in my face & body, it's caused by complex migraines now rather than a ruptured disk.

Good luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • tjt6768
    Thanks hun..
    I went to see the doc this afternoon.. luckily there is nothing sinister going on, doesn't think any nerves are being pressed etc.. However, I am very tensed up, all the muscles are having a bit of a spasm party for new yr lol.
    he thinks it's just the arthritis in my neck causing pain and the muscles have kinda bunched up to protect the neck.
    he has increased my fentanyl to 100mcg/hr from 75, and has increased my amitryptaline from 1 tablet per night to 3.. I reckon that should relax the nexk muscles.. lol
    if it doesn't help then he is more than happy to refer me to for a nerve conduction test.

thanks everyone :wink:

xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,285
    I think it's what happens to me Tony :( I am glad you've been to the Doc's though I know you didn't want to.

Did I say mine reckoned trigger point injections into the muscles can help?

Take care now

Love

Toni xxx