Tens Machine

Merlyn909
Merlyn909 Member Posts: 12
edited 23. Dec 2013, 08:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All fellow sufferers. I am living with arthritis in the hip at the moment and awaiting the injection. In the meantime could buying and using a tens machine help relieve my pain. Are these machines safe to use,and how easy are they to use?

Comments

• Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes! They really can be helpful in alleviating pain :)

They are super easy to use, doesn't require much to get hooked up depending on what machine you get. They are very safe, I've been using one on and off for over 10 years and never had a problem :)

I'd definitely say it's worth trying.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I found TENs utterly useless and very uncomfortable when in use. Like all methods of pain relief the effects vary from person to person, the stronger the pain relief the more you are taken away from the pain not vice versa and the effects of any of them are only temporary. I use the term pain dullers because that is what they do, they dull the sharper edges but not much more. DD (who has two forms of arthritis plus fibro)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Yes, that's very true. It does only dull the pain rather then get rid of it and the pain is only less while you have the machine on (if it works for you).

I've never used it on my hips but on my knees and hands mainly. Where you apply the pads has a big impact on how effective it is too
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Merlyn909
    If you could borrow one before buying...I have one and it gives me some relief for my back but very little...has for your hips it didn't help one bit...I do hope you get some relief from the injections...please let us know how you get on...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I got the use of one from a pain clinic I was attending for neuropathic pain, it did absolutely nothing for me, as Barbara suggested if you could maybe borrow one and try it out first...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I tried one from the hospital and it didn't work at all then someone suggested a certain make {not expensive} from Ll...ds chemist.
    I bought that and it helps a bit. Haven't tried it on my hip {although waiting for a hip replacement in Jan} I've used it on my back. I might use it a bit more now that the colder weather is here.
    I know it's only temporary but so are most things....like pain killers/dullers, heat/cold etc even acupuncture. Any relief is better than none

Love
    Hileena