DLA :'(

Sezeelson
Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
edited 26. Dec 2013, 06:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Oh :(

I got that big brown envelope in the post... My DLA stops in April 2014 so I've got reclaim.

I hate them so so so so so so much as I'm sure you can all relate!

I just don't know how to do it. The form is so black white and arthritis is impossible to talk about in that way. I'm always awarded lowest, I don't know if that is what I deserve but my sister was awarded higher then me just for mental health issues where as I have both mental & physical issues.

What do I say about walking? I HAVE to walk my dog everyday but before and especially after, I can barely walk at all. Sometimes I can't even get up to stand. I can't say I can't walk because I can. But only in this situation. I've trained my big dog to bare my weight so I can fall or lean on him when I get stuck.

Any advice for me? :(

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh gosh...I think you should get some help filling in the form..there are quite few people won there awards lately...some have even been given the higher rate...I do wish you good luck with it ..please let us know how you get on...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sezeelson
    Thank you Barbara, I'm really at a loss and last time I had to do this my health deteriorated quite rapidly.

I think I'll do what I can, write down bullet points etc. And go to the CAB for some assistance. I think I'm in way over my head with this :'(
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am sorry to hear this.I went to CAB for ATOS forms and they actually filled them in for me which was a godsend as I was having a really bad flare at the time. Good luck let us know how you get on ...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    There are a few disability websites that offer some tips on filling in forms. I think a lot depends on how you say things. CAB is a good idea or another local service. I also got some help from my local council to fill in a form once.
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    I understand what you mean by walking when you have to. In your situation I would say that walking causes pain and extreame discomfort and you often have to stop and wait till you feel a little better to carry on.

When you fill in the forms try to use words that the form uses to describe your problems ie. pain and discomfort.Maybe write out yor answer on plain paper then you can check it and change or copy onto the form? Start right now and so a few questions at a time don't leave it all to t last minute.

wold also advise that you look on the Benefits and Work site and if you can get some organisatin to help.
  • Sezeelson
    Thank you :)

The more pain I am in the faster I walk too. To me, it's because I need to get somewhere safe because as soon as I stop... That's it, I won't be able to move for hours. The longer I take the more pain I'll be in. I also have an electronic scooter but still can't use it without my dog or another person due to my anxiety. I had a panic attack and crashed into a wall :oops:

Yeah I've downloaded some resources from benefits and work! Extremely helpful to say the least!

I have read through the form and some bits online so I'm going to do a rough copy and get my sister to read it through before I put it in the form. She will know I've missed bits out or taken what she does for me for granted on the form.

I want to get it done and out of my life so I definitely won't be leaving it to the last minute!
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    I can relate to the walker faster to not prolong the pain I do that too! Hope you get things sorted soon and have a good christmas :areindeer: x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I just wanted to wish you all the best with the claim. . It's horrid what they put us genuine claimants through...

I have my fingers sorely crossed for you
    :xmas_cheesygrin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP