Wearing Boots !!!

dalaney
dalaney Member Posts: 22
edited 25. Dec 2013, 18:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am sure this has probably been discussed a million times but as a newbie i would welcome any advice. As a hip sufferer i have found it increasingly difficult to wear any sort of footwear that requires help from my hands so most are slip on etc BUT I love wearing flat boots with leggings but struggle so much to zip my left one up I live alone with my doggy and she is no help at all bless her !! Is there any contraption thatwould help with my zip i have tried a coat hanger but its too thick and wont hook in the zip bit. Currently I can only wear my boots if I have a friend or family over so they can zip it up and then I have to remember to get them to unzip it before they go , I drove home the other night with one boot unzipped and was panicking as i needed petrol but didnt want to get otu looking so silly !! Oh why do simple things that most people take for granted cause such dilemmas?? Any advice please ...

Comments

• Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Zips are tricky for me too but the worst dilemma has to be flushing the toilet. I can use the pull chain type but the small handles are a nightmare for both hands. Can be a tad embarrassing :xmas_cry:
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi dalaney, I think I remember seeing a device on one of the disability aids websites. Can't remember which one but a bit of googling should help,
  • pooty
    pooty Member Posts: 6
    Oh how I feel for you and your boot dillema. I have the same problem I have to make sure my boots are long enough for me to reach them and pull them up on my right side. Short boots are a no no as are zipped ones. Maybe you should try pull on ones that are tall. Its still a struggle but at least you dont have to wait for company before you can fasten them :hoho: xx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Hi delany
    I just love questions like this as the;y give me ideas for my future use if needed as I also live alone so have to be practical (well live with an old tom cat but he only helps with mental health issues he is purring carols at the moment) :carolers:

I have just screwed a cup hanging hook into the end of a stick and put the hook onto the zip before I put it on my foot, then I pull up the stick, it is a bit fiddly at first but it does work.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi there,

I got a button fastener with a hook to pull zips from one of the disability living sites- sorry I can't remember which one, but they are out there.

Hope you're tucked up snug in this horrible weather- even in boots it's too wet and windy to venture out here in the Midlands :madnoel:

Deb xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I don't do my laces up, a lot easier! Perhaps you could go to Screwfix, buy a 100 keyrings for £4.99 and attach one to each zip, it may help? Or affix a tag to each one? I use some of these for my parents.
  • dalaney
    dalaney Member Posts: 22
    Thanks everyone for your replies I have now manage to source a long handled hook thing which I ordered from Ebay so i will see how that works. Wishing you all a happy pain free christmas x x x
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    What about a wee crochet hook or something like that from a sewing type craft shop? :santa: