Advice please

Taff7996 Member Posts: 2
I'm a 48 year old ex soldier who has been diagnosed with server Pattellaofemeral arthritis of my right knee.
After x-rays and MRI I had an arthroscopy, with micro fractures two years ago. Still suffering pain, cracking and knee giving out

I currently work as a forklift engineer at a distribution hub, which requires a lot of kneeling on concert floors

I would like some advice
Do I limit my activities, wrap my self in bubble wrap to delay a TKR or carry on with full activity until my knee goes
After TKR I will not be able to work at my present career


  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Taff, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. The forum has been quiet over Christmas hence my late reply - I apologise. :oops:

    I have two forms of arthritis and happily confess that I have not knelt since 1997. This is a dilemma for you because obviously you need to be able to kneel so I wonder if using a kneeler (such as a gardening one) combined with a padded knee support could help? Knee supports are useful bits of kit but they are not to be used extensively because that encourages the muscles surrounding the joint to be become lazy. I still do my post-op quads and raises to help keep my muscles in a reasonable shape and I think it helps. I'm afraid I can't be of much help but I wish you well and I hope that things turn out as OK as possible for you in 2014. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Taff,
    Sorry to hear about your condition. I have PsA and anklosying spondylitis. When suffering from pain in the knees I have had acupuncture (which didn't help), heat treatment (using an infra-red lamp and physio, that used to be great but I couldn't afford it often), general physio (NHS -not great), and hydro-physio (NHS -great for the knees and lower back). Try heat treatment and hydro-physio - ask the GP to refer you.

    As for work I think DD is right with her advice in trying out aids which help. However, occupational health should help you and your employer should buy them or reimburse you for the cost. They can also look at giving you a job which requires less kneeling then the current job you do. I hope the new year works out well for you! Lubs :!: