Starting on the drugs

Options
beckie89
beckie89 Member Posts: 46
edited 15. Jan 2014, 17:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

So I've just returned from my follow up appointment at the hospital. Got my sulfasalazine, 2 a day for 2 weeks, then moving to 4 a day after that, with blood tests every 2 weeks :(

Also had a steroid injection in my arm to hopefully dull some of the pain i'm getting in the short term.

Really just wanted to know how people got on with the sulfasalazine, as I'm a bit dubious about starting them!

Thanks all,

Bex x
<3 *Beckie* <3

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never done sulph but I've got on very well with methotrexate for many years. The leaflets can look a bit daunting but remember most people don't get side effects. I hope they'll really help you. Also the steroid jab.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • beckie89
    Options
    Thanks :) I think the sickness/nausea is the one I'm dreading the most!

The steroid injection has really hurt my arm! Could say it's taken my mind off the other pain lol!

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    been on sulpha over 17 years & never had any side effects , not as good as methotrexate but alot of us end taking more than one DRAMD

with sulpha they take up to 16 tablets a day for crohn's disease so dont worry to much
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Like many on here when I began sulph it was one a day for a week, then one in the morning and evening for a week, then two in the morning with one in the evening for a week, then two twice a day for a week etc until I reached three per morning and evening. That sounds like a strong introduction to sulph so please check that it's what your consultant wants you to do. Steroid injections can sting and may not work - don't get your hopes up too high because that way you won't be disappointed if not much results. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

Don't panic about the sulph-I've been on it for 7 years with few side effects other than a very occasional upset tum which settles if I leave it off for a day. It's important to take it with/after food, and don't panic if your urine turns very yellow :shock: ! I now take it in combination with methotrexate and hydroxychloriquine sulphate(plaquinel)- and get good results apart from flare ups- there was some really interesting research done in America recently suggesting that this combination of DMARDS is often as effective as more aggressive medications and has potentially less side effects.

If you had a steroid injection into a joint did they tell you to rest it for 48 hours to give the steroid chance to stay in the joint and begin to work properly? I've had good relief from steroid jabs, but it can take a few days to kick in fully so don't give up hope if it isn't better instantly.

Hope you start to get some relief soon.

Deb xx
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Beckie

I've been taking sulphasalazine for almost 28 years now (off and on) and it hasn't caused any side effects at all. Just make sure you take it with your meals, as it might cause indigestion otherwise. As someone else has said above, the sulph is generally built up slowly, I think it took me four weeks to reach the full dose of two tablets twice daily, so check with your consultant or the pharmacist if you're unsure.

I also had a steroid injection about 7 weeks ago - it took a couple of days to work, and once it did it lasted about 6 weeks, which was great!

Jo.
  • beckie89
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!

JoJo03, both the consultant and pharmacist said take 1 twice a day for 2 weeks, then 2 twice a day there after, I must admit I thought it was a big jump up! So I may phone him up again just to confirm :)

Its nice knowing that so many people didn't have side affects, as the consultant warned me that it is common to get them.

Dibdab, I had the steroid injection straight into my arm, he didn't mention anything about resting it, but it hurt near enough straight after he done it, and has been hurting me all evening :(

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi beckie89
    pleased to meet you,
    Sulfasalazine was my first damard,and i had to stop taking it after
    4 weeks it dropped my (white cell blood count)to danger level.
    im now taking Methotrexate and lefiunomide and seems to be working
    for me,and im waiting to start TNFs soon.
    I hope the Sulf works for you and your blood test will show up
    if its not good luck mike26..
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello beckie
    Sorry I cant help, but I just want to add my support and wish you well on the meds...I hope its brings lots of relief..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I was put on Sulphasalazine quite a few years ago. I'm not on it any more, but I was told to take one a day the first week, and increase by one a week until I was taking four a day. I got to four a day and felt nauseous all the time, so went back to 3 a day. Consultant said that was ok. I took it for 13 years, along with Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Cimetidine and ferrous sulphate. When I felt reasonably good, I reduced my meds to 1 Diclofenac a day, 1 Indomethacin and Cimetidine and one Sulfa. When I was having a flare, I increased up to the full dose for everything. 3 Diclofenac, 3 Sulfa, 1 Indomethacin and Cimetidine and 4 ferrous sulphate. I wasn't aware of any problems with it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Never taken sulf but just want to say good luck :D
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • beckie89
    Options
    Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the messages of support, they have been a great help and have given me some useful advice :)

Day 2 of meds is over, and I've noticed a couple of things, firstly the urine! I knew this was gonna happen, but it didn't prepare me lol, not a nice colour!

Secondly, did anyone else suffer from extreme thirst? I've drank 4 bottles of water today, and I still feel so thirsty! Didn't know if this was a side effect or just me?

Thanks

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It may be worth your reading the side-effects leaflet - I began mine at a slower rate than you and had much bruising for a while, others have experienced nausea and headaches. I haven't heard of this before but I am not a doctor and do not know your medical history. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    beckie89 wrote:
    Thanks :) I think the sickness/nausea is the one I'm dreading the most!

The steroid injection has really hurt my arm! Could say it's taken my mind off the other pain lol!

Bex x

I remember taking these tablets as a child (orange pill if I remember correctly)

They gave me no side effects but sadly didn't work for me