As a matter of interest...

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 15. Jan 2014, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
...if you are entitled to free prescriptions, and you are put on anti-tnf or biologics, are they also free? I saw this question posted on another forum and it just made me wonder?

Comments

• beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well I just had to pay nearly £16 for sulfasalazine and naproxen, so I don't think so.

I have heard that buying one of them pre-paid yearly prescriptions could save people quite a bit of money if they have a lot of prescriptions!

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I do not pay for my humira or meth because they are funded by the NHS. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    the anti-tnf drugs are delivered direct & no prescription charges involved , & I do have to pay for my drugs
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I do pay for my prescriptions, I have a prepaid prescription card which works out cheaper. I didn't have to pay for any anti TNF's, I did pay for Methotrexate tablets, but I don't pay for the injected Methotrexate.
    Numpty
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi ouchpotato
    when you reach 60yrs all prescriptions are free.
    mike26...
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    I still have a way to go before then Mike!
    Thanks for the info everyone.
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    If you have a medical exemption card then all prescriptions are free
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Are Ouch
    I always imagined that if you are entitled to free prescriptions {either by age or an exemption card} you are entitled to ALL of them free. I'm open to correction here 'cause I've never had anti tnf drugs.
    My epilepsy ones are exempt so once I developed arthritis each and every one was also exempt

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm the same as Hileena, I've got an exemption card due to my Epilepsy so my meds are free.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    In the UK all biological treatment is funded by the hospitals and no charge is made to patients.
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    I am onHumira and it was prescribed through the hospital and yes its free. No pressciption as delivered as arranged by hospital with provider health care at home.

Have you heard anymore ouch?
    Xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Very interesting ...thanks ouch I am sure this will help quite a few people.
    Love
    Barbara
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Barbara12, it's actually a question I saw raised on another forum, and it just made me curious. I'm not at that stage yet but it wasn't something that had ever crossed my mind so it's been really interesting to me too.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Clare...meh. A catalogue of errors...the rheumy forgot to do my MRI referral so I am still waiting! Ditto pain clinic. And I only found that out because I phoned them yesterday to check how long it would be!

Have a good day all.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are prescribed a long-term programme of meds which can be prescribed by your GP then it may be an investment to get a prepayment certificate (if you do not qualify for free meds) - details are on the web or at your local chemist. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben